VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-10-2017, 11:32 AM

Default Defueling a Tank

While calibrating my fuel tanks, my EFIS shut down unexpectedly, after I had filled one tank with 22 of the 25 gallons. All data was lost, and I am faced with de-fueling a near full tank, to start the fuel calibration over. Any advice or techniques regarding the safest way to drain a fuel tank would be highly appreciated! I know this has been done before many times.....just not by me.

Greg Novotny
RV-14a N14ZP
KTIW
Dues gladly paid
Old 07-10-2017, 12:26 PM

Provided you aren't in a rush... (and you shouldn't be)

Assuming you have gas cans ready, some safety wire and a nut... Wrap safety wire around the fuel drain and run into bottom of whatever gas can (through funnel is applicable) with a nut tied on the end. This should reduce the potential between aircraft and can.

Well ventilated area...no fans running etc etc.

Take your time, don't don't leave aircraft when defueling.
RV-4 / PA28-180
Old 07-10-2017, 12:29 PM

Went through this exercise myself about 2 weeks ago and had the same problem with the efis shutting down on me while on my last 2 gallon pour. In my case I have a capacitive sender and knew ahead of time I would have to drain the tanks once so I was prepared (cal the sender, empty, then cal the efis).

Anyway, I got some 1/8 NPT ball valves and installed them in place of the little sump valve, got a bunch of 5 gallon gas cans and drained the tank. When my efis went dark, the normal sump valve was already installed because I didn't expect I'd need to drain the tank a second time. Anyway, I got the ball valve ready and removed the sump valve and quickly put in the ball valve. Some fuel sprayed out but not very much. Just be quick about it, be sure there's nothing nearby that can ignite the fuel and have some paper towel around to clean the fuel of your hands and arms.

Picture here:
http://airplane.athomeinthewilburnes...d-other-stuff/
Pink slip - 7/2017
RV-10 Build Log
Old 07-10-2017, 12:41 PM

Exclamation Caution

Don't do this in dry conditions or in a hangar. Many aircraft have burned up due to static electricity spontaneously igniting. Ground your plane to a tie down or hangar rail.the metal cans also. Have large fire extinguishers handy and a helper.
Hatz Biplane
Falcon RV Squadron
KFFC Hanger D-30
Peachtree City, Ga
770 310-7169
EAA Technical Counselor #5142
EAA Flight Advisor #486336
ATP/CFI/A&P/DAR
Old 07-10-2017, 01:04 PM

Greg,

Assuming everything is grounded as stated above, don't forget you are also a static electricity generator. Ground yourself to the airframe by touching it before touching the fuel can.

I always get the willy's when it comes to transferring fuel.

Since I dumped FB I've missed your progress reports on the -14. Post a pic when you can.
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous
Old 07-10-2017, 01:18 PM

Smile

Just did this to get to empty tanks for a full calibration.

Lowes sells a siphon/hand pump which worked well to get most of the tank emptied into 5 gallon fuel containers.

Drain the rest - probably only 2-3 gallons - by simply removing the tank quick drain with a funnel and gas container under the wing.

Put a paint filter cone in the funnel to catch the quick drain plug and also to see if there was any sediment/debris in your tanks.

Ask around your local airport, I'm sure you can find a bunch of 5 gallon containers around that have been used for 100LL. Typically plane tanks are drained before being put on the scales for a W&B.

As stated previously - ground everything, only use approved fuel containers and work outdoors with a fire extinguisher handy.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 07-10-2017, 01:43 PM

Default Drain fuel

5 gallon Homer Buckets from Home Depot , if you go to the paint dept they also have a calibrated gallon pail
2017 donation paid
Old 07-10-2017, 02:44 PM

I have a metal storage for filling up my planes when the airport fuel is closed. It has a ground wire on it for filling. I grounded the tank as per usual and removed the fuel line from the fuel flow meter (red cube) and added a length of fuel line I have and put the end into my tank. I made sure the fuel tanks were absolutely clean before adding fuel in the first place. Then with everything grounded I just turned on the boost pump until the tank was empty.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:20 PM

Connect a 20' long hose with approprate fittings to the fuel line that feeds your carb or injector servo. Put a ball valve on the other end of the line.

Use your aircraft fuel pump to transfer fuel from either tank to a portable gas can or other wing.

Easy, minimal spillage and uses electrons for their intended purpose. Also, filters the fuel.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 in the oven
Old 07-10-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlittle View Post
Connect a 20' long hose with approprate fittings to the fuel line that feeds your carb or injector servo. Put a ball valve on the other end of the line.

Use your aircraft fuel pump to transfer fuel from either tank to a portable gas can or other wing.

Easy, minimal spillage and uses electrons for their intended purpose. Also, filters the fuel.
While you do this, measure the fuel flow to verify it exceeds that required by the engine.

Carl