VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-05-2017, 10:19 AM

Default My 2 cents

I see there are no current posts here, so I guess the subject has been beaten to death, but I wanted to give my experience in hopes of helping others making the tip/slider decision.
Bought my -7A last year after many months of searching. It was pretty much exactly what I had been looking for except it was a tip-up. Knowing this plane was likely going to be as close to my dream plane as I was likely to find, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I won't say that I regret the decision, but I can say I hate (yes, hate) the tip-up. It has been nothing but a pain in my posterior from the beginning, nothing but trouble. I don't have the time to go into all the problems it's caused (and expenses!), but the list is long. Feel free to PM me if you would like more details.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:32 AM

Understanding what to expect and a good pre purchase inspection could have saved you a lot of grief.
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 05-05-2017, 12:15 PM

Interesting, I am on the other side of this issue, the tip up was the only option for me, rear panel access, the elimination of the center bar and much easier to get in and out of. Opens, closes and locks with a snug fit. Easy to raise up a couple of inches on taxi to let the air in.

On the slider I do like the extension mod that someone is selling. That should significantly help getting in and out of the airplane.
Eagles Nest Mentor
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 05-05-2017, 12:59 PM

The two items I hated was the intense heat during summer taxi and the fear of the wind ripping it off after exiting plane and leaving it open while getting stuff out. Went with slider on second plane and glad I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstone View Post
I see there are no current posts here, so I guess the subject has been beaten to death, but I wanted to give my experience in hopes of helping others making the tip/slider decision.
Bought my -7A last year after many months of searching. It was pretty much exactly what I had been looking for except it was a tip-up. Knowing this plane was likely going to be as close to my dream plane as I was likely to find, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I won't say that I regret the decision, but I can say I hate (yes, hate) the tip-up. It has been nothing but a pain in my posterior from the beginning, nothing but trouble. I don't have the time to go into all the problems it's caused (and expenses!), but the list is long. Feel free to PM me if you would like more details.

RV-3 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 Built & Flying
Twin Comanche Flying
RV-10 Thinking about it...
Old 05-05-2017, 01:00 PM

In my humble opinion, you should post your gripes here for others to learn from. Otherwise this is 1 cent short of a 2 cent post...

RV-7A
Empennage complete minus glass work.
Wings kit in progress.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:37 PM

Default Post your issues

I am a proud Tip-up builder/flyer and have no issues with the tip-up whatsoever. I know many local Tip-up flyers who have had no issues also.

I have seen some really poor Tip-up constructions over the years. Some I would not touch if you paid me.

I fly in southern AZ and the sun is intense. Yes it is a bit hot under the bubble canopy, but on the ground you can crack it open and get airflow. Typically I am not on the ground very long and once airborne both canopy's are effected the same way buy the sun. The Tip-up view is superior compared to the slider. Some say you get used to the slider canopy bow in your view, but with the Tip-up canopy the view is so unobstructed that I forget the canopy is there.

Yes you need to aware of the wind conditions/direction when you open the canopy on a very windy day, but I have a much greater concern about my rudder slamming into the rudder stops when I remove my feet from the pedals on a windy day. I never leave my canopy fully open unless I am next to the airplane on a windy day. Just my normal procedure.

Maybe if the poster explained more about his issues there might be a few Tip-up owners who might be able to offer advise or help.

Post away......

Paul Merems (EAA Tech Counselor, EAA Sheetmetal Workshop Instructor/Volunteer 12 yrs)
ExperimentalAero-HANGAR BANNERS
www.experimentalaero.com
RV-7A (Flying since 2010)/RV-4 (sold 1990)
Tucson, Arizona 85749
Old 05-05-2017, 03:36 PM

Default Tip Up

Couldn't be happier with my tip-up! Unobstructed view is top on the list. Five years of flying and not a single mechanical issue. That's my two cents.

Jim Diehl 7A Tip Up
Old 05-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

I could not agree more with Paul. I have been flying a tip up for 4000hrs and would not want to change. Working on the avionics is much easier as is getting in and out. Built properly the tip up is draft free and robust. Living in Texas I do not find heat to be an issue. Canopy is up until the engine starts then propped up by the D handle until take off. Plenty of air spills in along the sides once the fan turns.

Martin Sutter
Building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Technical Councelor
Eagles Nest Mentor
Old 05-05-2017, 04:50 PM

Hate? Wow! Sounds like your best bet would be to park it for 3 or 4 months, spend a couple grand and several hundred hours of blood sweat and tears converting it to a slider.

Personally I'd fly the **** out of it and enjoy the nice view. Dude you own a flying machine!

RV-7A
Flying
Old 05-05-2017, 05:34 PM

Everybody has a right to their opinion. The fact of the matter is simple and remains the same. It is a personal preference. You can argue the pluses and minuses of slider vs tipper all day long. They both have their upsides and downsides.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.