VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-23-2017, 08:38 PM

You don't have to lean over to see details close up like traffic. Just hit the SWAP button and have the right hand screen instantly in front of you. Swap it back in an instant.

I am not a fan of using an iPad in the cockpit. In a bubble canopy the the glare on an iPad makes it hard to see. And with it installed with some kind of mount angling toward you from the right panel, the passenger may have it for lunch in a crash landing. There are some flush mounts for the iPad which would be better but then you have the problem of the angle, and there would be no SWAP button. The dual screen panel is better. If you do a lot of cross country, subscribe to the Seattle Avionics charts and then you will have the sectionals and plates all on SkyView and clearly no need for an iPad display on the panel. I do carry my iPad usually folded up on the floor as a kind of GPS backup.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying

Last edited by Tony_T : 07-23-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:15 PM

Building a 7, going to use 10" with a 7" in middle. Putting a glove box on right in such a way I can remove it, cut a bigger hole, and mount another 10" if ever needed. Will use the 7" mainly for map or engine monitor, but can use it as back up if needed.

Allen Blackwell
Tylertown, MS
Old 07-23-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
You don't have to lean over to see details close up like traffic. Just hit the SWAP button and have the right hand screen instantly in front of you. Swap it back in an instant.

I am not a fan of using an iPad in the cockpit. In a bubble canopy the the glare on an iPad makes it hard to see. And with it installed with some kind of mount angling toward you from the right panel, the passenger may have it for lunch in a crash landing. There are some flush mounts for the iPad which would be better but then you have the problem of the angle, and there would be no SWAP button. The dual screen panel is better. If you do a lot of cross country, subscribe to the Seattle Avionics charts and then you will have the sectionals and plates all on SkyView and clearly no need for an iPad display on the panel. I do carry my iPad usually folded up on the floor as a kind of GPS backup.
Tony, if a person only had one screen is there a way to swap the information displayed in much the same way as if you had two?

Another question. I went through several training videos on the Dynon HDX and read through the autopilot section of the manual and I do not see any buttons for 'LEVEL' or '180.' I think it is the same as the Skyview Touch that you have. Am I just not seeing them or are the not there?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:54 PM

Default Why I did dual screens

When I built my 12, I did the dual G3X's. I think my reasons for going dual would also apply to the Skyviews.

The main reason I did duals was redundancy. In general, I did not use the second screen very much but I was VERY glad that I had two screen when my primary screen decided to re-boot one time in flight. I was quite a surprised to have the screen in front of me go black. If the primary didn't come back to life, I would have been fine flying on the right side screen.

I wouldn't want to fly with just the right side screen for a long time but it was certainly good enough to use it for a while.

All electronics, no matter how good, can fail.

One other thing to consider is that it may cost more to add a second screen later. When I did my G3X's, there was a big discount on the second screen when I bought them as a Dual screen package. It would have cost more to buy the single screen and then add the second screen at a later date. You might want to check if the same thing applies to the Skyview.
RV-12 (ELSA, Dual G3X), SOLD
Highland Village,TX
Old 07-23-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. D. Eliot View Post
About 4K to add a second Dynon to my panel order. For those who have two of them, I am wondering how much you use the second one? Also, how do you use it? Four K is a lot for me so I am wondering if you use the second one very much. My passenger will be my wife about 95% of the time and she has no opinion on whether or not she would use the second Dynon as a passenger. Your thoughts and experience please - thanks.
You didn't really say what your mission is, but it's lots of little decisions like this that turn a $60K plane into a $100K plane.

For VFR a D180 + a gps that can show traffic and weather (and a backup steam ASI) has been more than enough for me. YMMV.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2018

Last edited by alpinelakespilot2000 : 07-23-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTN View Post
Tony, if a person only had one screen is there a way to swap the information displayed in much the same way as if you had two?

Another question. I went through several training videos on the Dynon HDX and read through the autopilot section of the manual and I do not see any buttons for 'LEVEL' or '180.' I think it is the same as the Skyview Touch that you have. Am I just not seeing them or are the not there?
The answer is "yes", there are 20%, 40% and 100% screen options for the EFIS, EMS and MAP pages on a single display, you can configure in many ways, or show full screen size any of them. It just takes more button pushing and is not as easy as using SWAP with two screens.

HDX has real big "180" and "LEVEL" buttons on it's AP menu. They are soft keys. Real easy.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying

Last edited by Tony_T : 07-23-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
The answer is "yes", there are 20%, 40% and 100% screen options for the EFIS, EMS and MAP pages on a single display, you can configure in many ways, or show full screen size any of them. It just takes more button pushing and is not as easy as using SWAP with two screens.

HDX has real big "180" and "LEVEL" buttons on it's AP menu. They are soft keys. Real easy.
Tony, are you set up to use the 'simplified autopilot controls' or the 'expert autopilot controls?' Apparently it is something you change at the time you set it up. With the HDX the simplified controls the '180' and 'LEVEL' buttons are there. With the expert controls they do not appear to be there. See Section 8-2 and onwards. http://dynonavionics.com/public_html..._A_v15_0v2.pdf
Old 07-23-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTN View Post
Tony, are you set up to use the 'simplified autopilot controls' or the 'expert autopilot controls?' Apparently it is something you change at the time you set it up. With the HDX the simplified controls the '180' and 'LEVEL' buttons are there. With the expert controls they do not appear to be there. See Section 8-2 and onwards. http://dynonavionics.com/public_html..._A_v15_0v2.pdf
It is very easy to switch between expert and simplified modes.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
It is very easy to switch between expert and simplified modes.
Jesse in the HDX manual on page 8-2 it says the following: "Prior to operating in flight, the Autopilot must be fully configured. Refer to the SkyView Classic / SE / HDX System Installation Guide for detailed instructions on how to change the autopilot control scheme between Simplified and Expert controls and how to configure the autopilot." Are you saying they can be changed in flight? I am trying to see how you would get to the LEVEL button in a hurry if you need it and you were using the Expert Mode.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:59 PM

Tony, here is the Dynon training video I watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elGX...Zw22dm_HYaSnYJ It demonstrates the function of the 'Expert Control Mode,' which as I said does not appear to include the 'LEVEL' and '180' buttons. I think what a person would have to do to activate these effects would be to press the 'TRK' button, press the 'ALT HOLD' button, which would get you flying straight and level, and then move the bug 180 degrees from the direction you were going. They did retain the LEVEL button on the remote unit but not the 180 button.