VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-02-2017, 02:15 PM

Default Dual Displays?

About 4K to add a second Dynon to my panel order. For those who have two of them, I am wondering how much you use the second one? Also, how do you use it? Four K is a lot for me so I am wondering if you use the second one very much. My passenger will be my wife about 95% of the time and she has no opinion on whether or not she would use the second Dynon as a passenger. Your thoughts and experience please - thanks.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:27 PM

My wife flys in my -8 all the time and uses an ipad as a non pilot. Put an ipad on her side with an aviation app to she can help and/or keep busy during the flight.

Seems like it will ve $4000!

The only reason I can see for the extra screen is for a backup.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:19 PM

Been flying the 6 for about a year with two 10" Skyviews. I use one for a PFD and EMS. The other I use for moving maps, charts and airport info. The ADS-B info (weather depictions and participating aircraft displays) is overlaid on the sectional charts moving maps. You can swap the screens at anytime or change configurations to suit your preferences. Trust me, after flying your creation, you'll love having the double screens. Maybe time will pass and you'll forget about that extra 4K. Anybody who wants to fly from the right seat will also thank you for it.
Lorne

Airspeed: Speed of an airplane. Deduct 25% when listening to a Navy pilot.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:23 PM

I have two EFIS mounted side-by side in front of me, with two ADAHRS and a backup battery. This provides good redundancy. I use the left screen for flight and engine instruments; the right for charts and IFR plates. I reverse the displays when someone is flying from the right seat. Garmin/Comm/Intercomm/Transponder stack mounted immediately to the right of the glass.

I love this configuration!
Old 05-02-2017, 06:39 PM

Default It Depends

Ed,

I would first ask what your mission is. That will help you determine what you 'need' vs what you 'want'. If you're planning to fly IFR you'll need some kind of back up whether that's a 2nd Skyview or vacuum gages. The more IFR, and particularly night-IFR, the more capable you'll want that back up to be.

I am planning to fly substantial IFR and have a single Skyview and a BMA EFIS LITE for back up in the -8 I am building. Plan to use my tablet for geo-referenced charts. I am not happy with my decision to buy the BMA EFIS so far before completion, and if I were doing it over, I'd get a D10A as back up.

That said, I know several guys at the Airport I'm at who have dual 10" EFIS' and none of them are disappointed.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:57 PM

Seems like you'd need quite a bit more than a 2nd display to turn the -12 into an IFR machine. I'm finding the single display with a tablet (Android Nexus 9 in my case) to be perfect for my day VFR flying. The only thing I wish I could do would be to move the EMS from my primary display.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845
First flight 06/10/2015
Old 05-02-2017, 07:15 PM

Default One Dynon One IFR GPS

I'm working on panel now for VFR and lite IFR and I'm installing ONE Dynon and one certified GPS like Garmin 430. If I was VFR only one Dynon seems like plenty along with iPad.
Working on Wiring
Only panel left to go.
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 05-02-2017, 07:50 PM

I had a cover panel made at the same time as I had the panel cut to cover the hole for a future addition of the second panel. I'll start with one and maybe some day add a second one.
* Mid Fuselage Complete
* Aft Fuselage Complete
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
Shop Setup - In Progress (Gathering Tools, Never Complete)
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 05-03-2017, 07:37 AM

I added a dual Skyview to my 12 after flying in to Oshkosh last year. There were storms and traffic everywhere for the last 100+ miles. I was altering course real time to fly close to airports, monitor weather, ADS-D storm displays and traffic. Every time you check text, flight plan, METARS etc. you lose your map display which was disturbing even for a short time. Added right screen. On cross countries I have it as map with weather displayed and zoomed out to show next way point. Otherwise it is a backup and a clone display for use by passenger and for me to fly from right seat to help transition pilots or for an instructor. With it, I now don't know how I flew without it.
RV-12 #120515, 319RV 165 hours.
1st flight 12/08/15, flew SNF, Oshkosh, Triple Tree & SERFI in year 1!
RV-9A, 536 hours, sold
Old 07-23-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. D. Eliot View Post
About 4K to add a second Dynon to my panel order. For those who have two of them, I am wondering how much you use the second one? Also, how do you use it? Four K is a lot for me so I am wondering if you use the second one very much. My passenger will be my wife about 95% of the time and she has no opinion on whether or not she would use the second Dynon as a passenger. Your thoughts and experience please - thanks.
Keep in mind that with the exception of Scott Millhouse who is very happy with two 10" Dynons in his RV-12, the others appear to be flying planes other than the RV-12, and have the liberty of placing the second screen closer to the center. My own concern is that looking at the screen on the right side is like your passenger trying to see the screen in front of you and fly the plane with it. To me it is somewhat difficult to see because of the angle, the distance and the reflections. Using an I-Pad with Iflygps, it can be angled in your direction and is much less expensive. Scott shared with me that he sometimes leans in the direction of the right hand screen to see it better. He often flies with no one in the right seat so it appears to work well for him.