VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-28-2017, 11:51 PM

Well after lopping off the ears I went ahead and make some ribs for the elevator and the trim tab. Luckily I have access to a sheet metal break so I made these out of 0.025 instead of 0.020 just for a little extra strength. This route added a fair amount of time but overall I am pretty happy with it so far. Here are my results. Feel free to tell me what you think!

elevator rib by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170526_191514 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170526_191533 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Working on Wings
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 06-11-2017, 04:21 PM

Ok after screwing up the second trim tab because of one rivet I couldn't set I think I finally got it after the third. I put too many rivets in my riblet and one was under the E-718 trim tab horn and I couldn't set it, not even a MK-319-BS would fit in the hole. As you can see in the pic below I ended up with three rivets on the top side of the riblet and two on bottom. (this photo shows the good trim tab)

20170610_184650 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

On the other side I used MK-319-BS rivets because even my no hole yolk was having a hard time at them. You can also see in this picture that I had to grind the holy heck out of one of my yolks in order to get at the rivets attaching the E-721 hinge to the trim tab. It's ok though, I have really come to dislike this squeezer which made grinding it fun for the first 30 seconds; the remaining 14 minutes and 30 seconds sucked. (and yes I know the squeezer is not square, it was just a photo op ) I now call this yolk the "duck".

20170610_194037 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Once the hinge was riveted on the trim tab and the elevator I had a hard time getting the hinge pin in as there were a few eyelets out of alignment. There was a little bit of binding when moving the trim tab but not bad at all. If anyone at this step reads this put the hinge pin in before setting the rivets and I think this would help. After aligning some of the eyelets the bind is pretty minimal now and the pin easier to get in but still not perfect. The following pic shows the final trim tab product and what 19.7 hours (trim tab only) can do.

20170610_201929 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

One more final pic shows the trailing edge alignment of the trim tab. Deeeeelicious!!!

20170610_175942 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Working on Wings
Old 06-11-2017, 10:24 PM

Now that is looking very nice. Good job!!
Old 06-12-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
Now that is looking very nice. Good job!!
Thank you good sir!
Working on Wings
Old 06-24-2017, 06:08 PM

Default momentous occasion!

Well after 6 months of work I am official done with my tail except for a few odds and ends that will get addressed when I mount to the fuselage. The empennage was filled with great learning experiences and a handful of frustrating ones. I am that much closer to having my dream come true! My wings are here and inventoried, time to start on a new journey!

11800 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Working on Wings
Old 06-26-2017, 08:28 AM

Beautiful looking product! Congratulations.

P.S. I don't know how you craftsmen get that blue film to stay on. My tail kit came with so much duct tape that it was impossible to salvage all of the blue film.
RV-14A Empennage Kit #140396
===========================

Last edited by bk1bennett : 06-26-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk1bennett View Post
Beautiful looking product! Congratulations.

P.S. I don't know how you craftsmen get that blue film to stay on. My tail kit came with so much duct tape that it was impossible to salvage all of the blue film.
Thanks for the complement! I have found that if the duct tap is some what cool, like 70 or below, just get it started slowly and then rip it off fast like a band aid. Every once in a while it will tear the blue but then again maybe I just got lucky.
Working on Wings
Old 07-01-2017, 10:25 AM

Even though the tail is done I thought I would post a few more pictures from completing the tail as others may find them useful. I am really happy with how the elevators turned out, I was a bit frustrated with them during building them as not all the rivets are perfect and I was worried about getting twist in them. After mounting them to the tail I shot a laser to first make sure the horizontal stab was level. Then I shot the laser on the trailing edges of the elevators to make sure they were in trail while the counterbalance arms were clamped to HS. At this point I have seen quite a few people have a bit of twist in their setup, Van's has accepted a good amount of twist but I am happy to say mine had less than 1/16" of twist between BOTH elevators!

In the pic below you can see the laser in the background on the green stand (as well as my favorite drink of choice if you look hard). This was very useful in checking for twist. You can also see the elevator horns line up surprisingly well when viewed from the side.

20170623_162819 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

However, the next picture shows the horns aren't perfect when viewed from the back. I don't know that I have seen a single RV on this forum where the horns were perfectly matched to each other.

20170623_163043 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

One thing I did after drilling the horns to the center hinge was to use the drill bushing to make a mark on the horns. I wanted to make sure that the series of drillings didn't wonder from center. Making this line made it easy to visually see if the bits were wondering.

20170623_173140 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170623_173640 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Working on Wings
Old 07-02-2017, 06:57 AM

Your work looks great! Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-02-2017, 08:13 AM

Well I'm a little late posting inventory pictures of the wings. This is what you can expect when you get your wing boxes. Two people can carry these just fine as long as you are both strong. Each box was about 200 lbs.

20170619_164120 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170620_173143 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I highly suggest marking these bags as you inventory if you don't have a fancy tray system to put them in. I am building in a small one car garage so things like that just get in the way.

20170621_181738 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

My wife actually helped count all of these bags below. She did however open one that had 210 screws and 210 nut plates and said "let's go have a beer and I'll help with this one when we get back"... she did not...

20170621_181726 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Working on Wings