VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-16-2017, 06:11 PM

Default ?

Check the fiberglass layup on the canopy. I modified a part in my panel and canopy did not close all the way in the front and I got a harmonic vibration until i made an adj, fixed. ONLY A GUESS FROM WHAT I READ FROM YOUR POST. Good luck finding it.
david@rv12pilot.com
2018 VAF Supporter

RV12 #568 EAB
* Started 9/30/2011
* 1st flight 8/30/12

http://www.rv12pilot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/dvalcik
Old 02-20-2017, 09:43 AM

Default Vibration

Thanks all for your many helpful suggestions. Thought I would provide an update on finding the cause of the vibration in my RV12. As background:

Pitched prop blades, identical to 0.1 degree
Carbs balanced by experienced Rotax repairman
Carb floats checked and all found to be ok (2.9gm each)
Gear box removed, checked and reshimmed to Rotax specs
Removed nose wheel fairing (no difference noted)
25 hour Rotax inspection completed with no problems found
Prop dynamically balanced
Checked Engine Isolators per Van's Notification 16-08-10 and found to be correct.
Prop blades returned to Sensenich and balance checked

Based on suggestions:
Removed nose wheel fairing and jacked up front of plane. Spinning nose wheel at a high speed (placing the edge of an orbital polisher on the tire) elicited a vibration that was transmitted throughout the airframe. The nose wheel was found to be both out of round and out of balance. Replaced tire and balanced nose wheel. Vibration could no longer be elicited by spinning the wheel, but vibration in flight was unchanged.

Completed installation of Van's weather proofing/seal kit, including canopy frame

Identified an area of "tin canning" on right fuselage side skin near firewall. Added stiffener eliminating tin canning.

I continue to experience vibrations in the rudder pedals but can also feel it in the canopy frame and panel. The vibration is strong enough that is is uncomfortable leaving my feet on the rudder pedals! Noted in flight only, seems more pronounced at cruise (not climb out), and somewhat less (but present) when operating at <5000 RPM.

Engine seems to be running smoothly, and after 35 hours on the Hobbs, I'm very happy with the way the plane flies. Any other thoughts on potential causes or approaches to identify a source would be greatly appreciated.

Barry
Mequon, WI
2017 Dues Happily Paid
RV12 N12BB Flying
Old 02-20-2017, 10:50 AM

To confirm that the vibration is from moving air and not the engine, climb up high and close the throttle. While descending, note the vibration at various air speeds. Have the Matco wheel bearings been adjusted per specs that require a certain amount of drag? Have you tried pressing the brakes while flying?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:52 AM

I know you have had a lot of suggestions so here's one more, sometimes something Attached to the engine can be touching motor mount or airframe transmitting vibration, could be something like a hose clamp or exhaust support it easy to check.
Jerry
Old 02-20-2017, 11:54 AM

Following up on Jerry's suggestion -- On the RV-12, potential vibration/touching-the-cowling points include: 1) the left front exhaust spring, 2) a left-side rocker box cover, 3) the exhaust pipe where it exits the cowling, and 4) a floppy lower-right-side oil line.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 560+ hours (as of Oct 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:29 PM

Barry,
I sent you a PM. Fly your plane to KBUU, I can check it out.

Jim
Old 02-20-2017, 02:50 PM

Will be interested to continue to hear updates on this one. Did the problem change at all when flying without wheel pants vs with them, after the wheel balancing?

Flying a Warrior PA28-151 and a few RVs here and there
TeenFlight program mentor
Exempt, but paid anyhow
Hillsboro, Oregon (EAA 105)
Old 02-20-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
Following up on Jerry's suggestion -- On the RV-12, potential vibration/touching-the-cowling points include: 1) the left front exhaust spring, 2) a left-side rocker box cover, 3) the exhaust pipe where it exits the cowling, and 4) a floppy lower-right-side oil line.
I agree with 4. above if DHeal is referring to the oil reservoir vent line. But, i would also check the hose vent line from the weep/drain off of the mechanical fuel pump. I had a similar sporatic vibration. Then, during an annual, I made a thorough inspection of all hoses, lines, etc. for abraision and saw how one or both of these vent lines were wearing at contact points against the firewall. So, I put some zip tie offset combos. and RTV where applicable between the lines and all possible contact points and have not noted recurrence of the vibration.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:42 PM

Another suggestion, a friend had a similar problem, turned out to be oil canning of the floor directly behind the baggage bulkhead. Mine was doing the same thing so we fixed it with a couple of strips of aluminum angle.
Retired US Army Officer
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....X&project=1903
Old 02-21-2017, 06:26 AM

Thanks everyone, greatly appreciate the thoughtful suggestions and offers of help. I'll follow up on the possible sources of vibration and report back!

Barry