Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-08-2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Boss View Post
So, a tapered wing design will probably be more suited for a side-by-side design as opposed to a tandem (front seat solo), as the CG range required is much smaller in the side by side design.
Well, there's an obvious solution then. Make tapered wings for the -6 instead.

(I may be slightly biased)
Old 12-08-2016, 09:08 AM

Talk about thread drift.......

Getting back to the original question.... the F4 Raider is the 4 cylinder engine version of the F1 Rocket. We are seeing very strong interest in this aircraft. Larry Vetterman has proven that the concept is sound with his 4 cylinder conversion of his previously 6 cylinder engine equipped Rocket.

The primary changes to make a Rocket into a Raider:
1) make a longer engine mount
2) move the battery and other stuff to the front
That's it. It's not "Rocket" science. Pun intended.

We will continue to support the F1 Rocket, a GREAT aircraft, while developing the Raider.

Tapered wings, 100% pre-punched parts, and quickbuilds, are not on the table at this point. Slow build kits for both the F1 and the F4 are coming, but we're not guaranteeing a timetable.

If you can't wait, we have all of the important parts now. You just have to mesh some other popular kit parts in with the parts that we can supply. HRII builders have done this for years. Like I said, it's not Rocket science.
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold
Old 12-09-2016, 10:13 AM

Hey Vince,

How are the F1 fuselage parts provided? Do you have kits for them? I can source the wings and empennage.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 12-09-2016, 02:27 PM

Randy! You're at it again? You just can't quit building! You're work is top quality, so no complaints---just wish I had your energy.

Lee...
F1 Rocket #160 flying
Old 12-10-2016, 03:49 AM

Just delivered the RV-12 to its new owner in Arizona. Just looking at some possible projects. The F-4 intrigues me.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 12-10-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrazier View Post
Slow build kits for both the F1 and the F4 are coming, but we're not guaranteeing a timetable.

If you can't wait, we have all of the important parts now. You just have to mesh some other popular kit parts in with the parts that we can supply. HRII builders have done this for years. Like I said, it's not Rocket science.
Randy,

Contact me offline, if you like, and we can discuss the above in more detail! Since you're so close by, and since you're so experienced, we may be able to coordinate some things that lesser builders, er... normal humans, er.... mere mortals..... aw heck... other builders, couldn't do.

Thanks,
Vince
vince@f1aircraft.com
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold
Old 12-10-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrazier View Post
There is another, an F8, nearing completion here in Indiana, using an RV-8 tail and wings, with an F1 fuselage.
So...if someone wanted to do an F8, just start with regular RV-8 tail and wings? Any mods?

Last edited by ksauce : 12-10-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:06 PM

Default Parts is parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1rocket View Post
Just delivered the RV-12 to its new owner in Arizona. Just looking at some possible projects. The F-4 intrigues me.
Randy,
It can be done!
When I brainstormed the RVX I was staring across the hangar at my HR2, my RV4 parked next to it. In the rafters of my hangar were a set of completed RV4 wings and tail along with an untouched RV6 fuselage kit still in the crate. Standing beside me was my late friend and RV guru Arvil Porter.
"You've got a nice airplane here, just need to put it together."
That's all it took. I grabbed my Rocket, RV4 and RV6 plans and Arvil and I started taking measurements of the RV4 and HR2. It would work!

The combined RV4/6/HR2 turned out to be a marvel, and it all started as parts.
Just do it!
V/R
Smokey

PS: Kevin, this might be a better/easier option for the RV8...
http://www.showplanes.com/ecom-prodshow/FB_8.html

Last edited by smokyray : 12-10-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:10 PM

Question 4 cylinder turbo normalized motor for F4

Hey Vince,
Thought I'd ask this question on the website. Maybe some engine guru's would offer some advice. My F4 is coming together, but I need advice on just which engine would be the better choice.

I've decided I like the idea of flying up around 15-16,000', with O2, and get long range cruise, hopefully at 70-75% power. There are lots of turbo'd air cooled engines to choose from, but the question is which might be best for the F4 Rocket?

Considerations are: 1) weight, including turbo and required waste gate and exhaust. 2) Horsepower at 14, 15, 16 thousand feet
3) Fuel Burn Using a TN-4 cylinder should result in fuel savings over the 6 cylinder normally aspirated Lycoming 4) Cost maybe I should have put this first.

I'd like to see HP of around 210 (75% of that T-normalized at altitude) but what about configuration and weight? If it ends up to about the same weight as a 6 cyl Lycoming in weight all in, I wonder if I would be better off doing a 6 cyl normally aspirated Lyc?
Ron
Old 12-11-2016, 08:12 AM

I would be one of the last persons to ever question going fast, but my first concern with your plan would be: 75% of 210 hp = 157.5 hp. 157-ish horsepower at 15,000' with a could well produce an indicated airspeed in the neighborhood of 170+ knots and a TAS of 215+ knots or so and very close to 250 mph true. These calculations are just off the top of my head, so somebody who knows what they are talking about should chime in here, but that is basically the Rocket Vne (these days). For this airframe, that is Vne---in cruise!

You'd be riding the edge in ordinary flight and potentially would have to "slow down, to come down". Lovely problem to have...some of the time... but even without your engine and configuration considerations, I would be concerned first of all with this, assuming my thinking is approximately correct.

Lee...
F1 Rocket #160 flying