- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie78 View Post
I was told one "downside" to doing so was the loss of being able to hand-prop the aircraft if the battery was dead...which wasn't a downside to me as I don't ever plan on hand-propping it...I will either charge or replace the battery. (There's also a way to get the P-mag to fire with a 9v battery if you REALLY want to hand-prop it..)
I have the schematic on how to wire in a 9 volt battery for hand propping. Contact me, if you want it.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 11-12-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
I'll step in an mention that there is no scheduled maintenance with the CPI/SDS ignition systems- no drive gears or shaft bearings to inspect or fail. You can toss the $3 plugs every annual when you do a compression check and maybe replace the plug wires every 5 years/1000 hours if you like- about $150 for an all new harness with the recommended MSD parts on all 8 plugs.
One thing we have found with the EICommander connected to P-mags is that the auto plugs start to deteriorate at a little over 100 hours +/-.

Thus, regardless of which system you ultimately choose, be sure to change your spark plugs every annual, or more frequently, if you fly a lot.

The odd thing about the plug issues is that even though the EIC was able to tell us there is a plug issue, you could not tell it in the way the engine ran or performed. Without the EIC reporting on the plug condition, I would have been happy to continue running the plugs indefinitely.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 08-03-2017, 03:31 PM

Default E-mag and slick on new IO 390 exp10

I have just received my new engine IO 390 exp10 from lycoming and I'd like to know what is the best e-mag to replace the slick that came from the factory and Who makes the e-mag that came on my new engine I would greatly appreciate some information please
Wings 95'% done
Fuselage 80% done )
Old 08-03-2017, 11:56 PM

Something to note a very nice Lanceair crash here in Australia. Done up with all the latest equipment including duel electronic ignition.
Reason for the accident was the alternator fan belt let go just after take-off and took out the flywheel pick-ups for the ignition timing resulting in that noisy silence.
wings almost complete.
Flaps and ailerons done.
Canopy next. Phew!
Old 08-04-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salto View Post
Something to note a very nice Lanceair crash here in Australia. Done up with all the latest equipment including duel electronic ignition.
Reason for the accident was the alternator fan belt let go just after take-off and took out the flywheel pick-ups for the ignition timing resulting in that noisy silence.
It was a Glasair and maintenance and workmanship lapses were found to be the main causes.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 415.8 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 08-04-2017, 07:43 AM

I have two impulse coupled Slick mags on my io360 that were covered by the SB. It cost me $250 to have them both rebuilt by a reputable A&P. So cost should not be a conversion driver in my opinion.
Take a look at the CAFE reports on electronic ignitions. Mags make more horsepower, especially at high power settings.
There have been several recent writups on this forum of the high mileage acheived with electronic ignitions. My mag powered Superior io360 gets almost identical mileage, so this advantage is in my opinion illusory. I've got several screen shots of my EFIS published elsewhere on this forum to prove it.
The advantage to electronic ignition is the ability to advance spark allowing leaner operation under some limited circumstances. Leaner also often means less power.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:27 AM

Default Search the Forum

There have been multiple forum discussions regarding ignition systems going back several years. Kitplanes ran a long article about ignition systems when Paul Dye replaced mags with Pmags. I configured my IO-360 with one mag and one Lightspeed. Now have 900+ hours on the plane - overhauled the mag at 500 hours.

Considered going to two Pmags but ultimately decided that the current configuration was as bullet-proof as I could get and still get the very noticeable advantages of EI. Folks I've talked to with two Pmags seem very satisfied with that option.

I chose Lightspeed during the build 8+ years ago. There were both hardware and software issues with Pmags (since corrected). I am very happy with the Lightspeed - and have even found Klaus to be a very knowledgeable and helpful guy!
Old 08-04-2017, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

I am a believer in one electronic ignition and one mag, as I think it provides the best all around solution, both in economies and in redundancy. Having been in technology for most of my life, I am a believer in backups.

Yes, the mag could be a weak point, and there are always the stories about catastrophic failures of mags. The weak point of the mag is the impulse coupling, and I leave that part off. The argument about needing to be able to hand prop it doesn't really hold a lot of weight, as there are nice compact jump start battery packs that you can carry these days, and it's a lot safer than hand propping your aircraft. I have personally jump started IO-540's with them, I always have one in the back of my airplane, and I regularly charge it.

The 500 hour overhaul on a slick direct drive mag is really cheap, and you can do it yourself for less than $75.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council
Van's East Coast Representative
Mallards Landing, GA (GA04)
Old 08-04-2017, 10:36 AM

I went from 2 Bendix mags to 1 Bendix & 1 ElectroAir, worked great for years. Then I removed them and installed 2 pmags & EI Commander, never worked right one issue after another. Used this setup for some years. Pulled all that out and installed 2 ElectroAir's & I built a custom advance monitor and adjustment that fit in the 2 1/4" hole the EI Commander came out of. Been running that for a year and works just fine.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:15 AM

Curious, for those who went electronic ignition.
How many electrical backup strategies do you have, and have you tested them?

Tim