VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-12-2017, 07:53 PM

It is always lovely to run across a post about an upgrade after you have already purchased the kits. I just got my finishing kit. Does Van's allow you to return things for a refund?

It would be nice to make upgrade now, when everything is out in the open versus later.

ken

RV-14 (serial number 140073)
N73XP (at least that # reserved now)
Old 03-12-2017, 08:55 PM

Vans policy is for full refunds in returns. I've never done it but I've got a little box of stuff to send back.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:07 PM

I purchased the Aircraft Specialty brake line kit. Will the ends on the lines fit this kit? Or is this kit metric and the Aircraft specialty kit standard?

RV-14 (serial number 140073)
N73XP (at least that # reserved now)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:27 PM

I think the ACS kit is the same one you buy directly from Beringer. It's all AN4 fittings, so no metric that I found (at least in the brake lines).
Old 03-17-2017, 08:04 AM

Ken and others, we are working out the details of the Beringer install, not only for the RV14 and 14A, but the other Vans planes as well. The plan is to have crimped on banjo hose ends to connect directly to the Beringer masters and calipers, and AN fittings at the airframe bulkhead connections, like the gear passthroughs, and the reservoir. This is for the initial install. We are also working on a retrofit using the Beringer components with our existing brake hoses, if the client had previously purchased them. That way you dont have to buy another set of teflon hoses.

Hope to have a couple of beta testers lined up to check geometries, etc soon.

Tom
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 03-17-2017, 08:09 AM

Ken--The Aircraft Specialty/TS Flightlines packages are for AN fittings, and the Beringer is for 10mm Banjo connections. They arent interchangeable, BUT, we have a client that we sent some banjo adapters to so he could convert the Banjo connection to AN. Havent heard back yet. For previously installed masters, calipers, and hoses, this would be a simple upgrade, without the expense of purchasing all new hoses.

Tom
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 04-05-2017, 01:51 AM

Beringer modified recently some patrts of its kit for RV14. Banjos have rotable connectors now. Finished the clocking's problems. They change the AN3-7 bolts for AN3-10 also. If you bought the kit before, you can phone them and they send this parts free.

Eric
RV14A
France
Old 04-05-2017, 01:58 AM

Hi JDA,

Did you run the hoses throught the 0.375 snap bushings ? without difficulties ? It is possible to enlarge the spar holes for 0.500 snap bushings ?

Eric
RV14A
France
Old 04-05-2017, 07:47 AM

Default Eric and others--

When Steve and I were originally working on the RV14A cabin brake hose package, we found that the holes in the spar were pretty close together. OK for using the stock nylon hose and compression fittings, but not ok for use with crimped on hose ends with teflon hose. For a -4 hose end, we needed to open the holes up to 11/16 to allow the B Nuts to pass through the spar. To do that, would mean the the 2 holes would now become 1 large hole, and we didnt want to do that. So we decided to use -3 hose with a .500 B nut. Tim Olsen did the beta testing on this and it worked fine.
Using Beringers reusable hose ends with their hose may be just fine, IF you want to assemble the hoses in the cabin. If you assemble them on the bench and then try to install them, eat lunch first. You'll still have the same issue, unless you have found an alternate route.

NOTE: I thought about making a long bulkhead fitting to span the 2 spar sections, but we nixed that idea. One of the problem of NOT having a plane here to look at and think about. Since we made the original kit packages, we've teamed up with Beringer to work on some of the conversions. Steve and I are excited about the possibilities!

Tom
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 07-01-2017, 10:54 PM

Here's my Beringer install. I found that 5/16" ID vinyl tubing works great for protection from rubbing. I decided to install the parking brake on a modified piece of 1.5" L-bracket with a microswitch to hook up to the efis. I will trim the excess vinyl tubing once I can see where the rubbing happens.

Last edited by Av8rRob : 07-02-2017 at 11:31 AM.