- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2016, 10:43 PM

Default RV-14 Brake and Fuel Line Package Official Announcement

Aircraft Specialty and TSFlightlines would like to officially announce the availability of the RV-14 Fuel and Brake line packages.

We have been shipping these kits for about a year but didn't have all the pricing information as well as ordering available on the websites. If you would like more information or ordering by phone, you can contact Tom at tsflightlines@gmail.com. Or, you can view the installation manual and pictures of the packages at http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv-14.html as well as order online

Currently available are the following kits:

1. RV14/14a Cabin Brake line package with or without hoses/fittings for a parking brake
2. RV14/14a Cabin Fuel line package which includes rigid and flex tubes.
3. RV14A Gear leg hose kit

Currently being finalized

1. RV14 Tailwheel gear leg hoses
2. RV14/14a Rigid tubes from fuselage to wings

Currently in development

1. RV14/14a Firewall forward hose package.... However, like all of you, we are waiting on Vans to finalize their end of the deal so we can finalize our data. The firewall forward hoses will ALL be fire sleeved conductive teflon hoses and will carry our industry leading 10 year warranty.

Thank you all for helping us to continue to develop new products for the RV community. It is something that Tom and I love to do, and we wouldn't be where we are today without all of you.

Please email us at aircraftspecialty@gmail.com with any questions.

Your Source for Custom CNC parts, CNC cut instrument panels and labeling, Teflon fuel/oil hoses, Headsets, and many other items for Experimental Aircraft.

Last edited by Aircraft Specialty : 02-15-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:30 AM

Default Follow up

I just want to throw in another comment here. We have several RV14 beta testers out there that have helped develop these packages. Their help has been extremely valuable in producing all of these kits. Some are still in development, and we are working on them. We do take information from several builders and get the most similar ones and test them. Its not easy to do these packages long distance. Many times hoses and tubing are shipped across the country to be test fitted, and shipped back, most of the time at our expense. It would be nice to have a version of all the models we do in the hangar, and just walk out there and play. We dont have that luxury, other than my RV7, a 7A, and a couple of RV8's locally, and Steve is doing a Rv12.

Another reason for the delay in introducing the packages is the hose lengths. Various builders route hoses according to plans, but slightly longer or shorter. WE are using the best average lengths and generally they are very close. Parking brake valves are another accessory that we had to take into consideration. All of this takes time. You guys, have been very patient with us about this, and we appreciate it. All of these neat little time savers are in addition to the regular work load that we both have.

WE (meaning TS Flightlines & Aircraft Specialty) have alot more packages in the works. We're builders too, and we see these packages as time savers so you can complete your projects faster, AND be flying sooner, which is why we build anyway, right?

On a personal note, I again want to talk the RV community for their patience during my recovery. It means alot!

Tom
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 02-15-2016, 09:15 AM

Default General FYI

I think all of the hoses that will be supplied in the FWF kit will be Teflon.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 02-24-2016, 08:09 PM

Default Brake line fittings needed where the line exits the fuselage?

Just curious about the rationale for using fittings as a passthrough where the brake lines penetrate the bottom of the fuselage on the -14A? Why not just run them through a hole with a grommet in the bottom of the fuselage and on down the gear leg? It would eliminate a set of fittings, saving a few bucks and be one less place for possible leaks.
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 02-25-2016, 07:58 PM

Mark and all,

It would be possible to run flex lines through this area all the way down the gear legs. I don't think that this is the optimal configuration however. The way we run the hoses and fittings gives a really nice and stable secure transition from inside the aircraft to outside. If we ran one line, it would have to be secured in a way to allow it to exit the grommet at the proper angle and then continue down the gear leg. Likely a bracket would have to be fabricated and secured to the floor skin of the aircraft in the correct location so that the hose could exit properly at the right angle and then continue on down the gear leg.

In order to provide a finished, high quality package, this leaves a lot of variability in the fabrication by the builder. We wanted something that would be complete and very easy to install that is very repeatable.

With that said, custom hoses are what we do. Just as a wag, the price difference of going with one hose versus two would be around $25-35 plus the extra fittings. All up it may save about $50, but would be offset with the time required for the builder to fabricate the brackets to hold them in.

One other aside here is that I am not the largest fan of a rubber grommet out the bottom of the fuselage. I prefer the AN fitting.

That's just some quick thoughts on why we didn't go the other direction with this one.

However, if someone wants this package but wants to pursue a different routing/fuselage exit with those two hoses, we are happy to subtract them from the package and then build a set of custom lengths for whatever the builder would like. However, we would need the builder to provide us with the lengths that they would like for those as there would be a lot of potential variables depending on how and where they would exit the fuselage.

Happy building
Steve

Your Source for Custom CNC parts, CNC cut instrument panels and labeling, Teflon fuel/oil hoses, Headsets, and many other items for Experimental Aircraft.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:20 PM

Do you have list of parts that can be eliminated from the Vans finishing kit?
Old 04-07-2016, 02:01 PM

We installed the brake line kit on our 14A and it looks great. I never liked the plastic lines or the thick rubber tube type. A one time only installation. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:09 PM

Just got the fuel line kit from Aircraft Specialty. Here are a few pictures of the kit.

All the parts fit perfectly and I did not have to bend a thing. I have not tightened up anything yet. I think that it was worth the purchase.

RV-14 (serial number 140073)
N73XP (at least that # reserved now)
Old 12-07-2016, 09:29 PM

Ken,

Glad that you like the kit. We are working on a video showing the design as well as the rigid tube bending. I hope to have that posted on our website in a month or two. It was a fun process to develop.

We also have rigid tube packages in development for a variety of other RV aircraft also.

Have fun building,
Steve

Old 12-08-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
I think all of the hoses that will be supplied in the FWF kit will be Teflon.
Having received my FWF kit in August, and reading the word 'all' has me pondering (always a bad idea in my world of in-over-my-head (IOMH) ) would it be smart to substitute any supplied non-Teflon hoses with Teflon?

Hank
B744
Sailplane Racing
Cuba Libre
Dues 2016