Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2016, 09:18 PM

I bought a twin engine manifold pressure gauge on eBay. They show the use of one of these on the Rotax Owner website.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 06-28-2016, 01:55 PM

Default Best

Two for the plastic and bottle solution: I build a gauge of two bottels and some hoses that worked great! Just functie the cards until the two bottles contain equal amounts of water. Fun to make and I loved to work with it. Google on carb's and synchronisation.
Spend the money to something that will give you advantage.
Bought project & building RV12 #120742
Old 08-05-2017, 03:45 PM

Default Need to learn how to use carbmate. ROAN videos don't explain what side to adjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
I use the electronic Carb Mate from California Power Systems, but at the ROTAX course the instructor had a neat setup using a manifold pressure gage from a twin engine aircraft. He just adjusted the carbs to get the gage needles on top of each other.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHound View Post
:Need to learn how to use carbmate. ROAN videos don't explain what side to adjust
Doug ... when using the CarbMate one carb becomes the "reference" and the other carb is adjusted to match it. It really does not matter which carb is the reference as long as the other carb is adjusted to match the vacuum of the reference carb at idle and the high RPM range .... and, of course, the final idle speed should be within the desired specs. When the center light is on and you are on the high sensitivity setting, the carbs will truly be balanced to each other.

A tool like the CarbMate is just fine for synchronizing the carbs, however, the bad thing about using a device like the CarbMate is it is not well suited for trouble shooting because one really does not know what the actual vacuum levels are. If everything is OK with the engine & carbs and all you are doing is synchronizing them, then using a device like the CarbMate is just fine ... however, if you are having issues, it does not lend itself well for troubleshooting problems. This is one reason why I have both the CarbMate and gauges.

About the gauges, if one is inclined to order a pair ... don't make the same mistake I did when asleep at the wheel late one night clicking away ordering two vacuum gauges that were "0-30 inches of water" gauges. The inches of water gauges I accidentally ordered were DESTROYED a few seconds after the engine started .... an expensive mistake. Make sure the gauges are 0-30 inches of mercury and NOT inches of water. I can laugh about it now, but it was NOT funny at the time.
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2017

Last edited by John-G : 08-05-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-G View Post
Doug ... when using the CarbMate one carb becomes the "reference" and the other carb is adjusted to match it. It really does not matter which carb is the reference as long as the other carb is adjusted to match the vacuum of the reference carb at idle and the high RPM range .... and, of course, the final idle speed should be within the desired specs. When the center light is on and you are on the high sensitivity setting, the carbs will truly be balanced to each other.

A tool like the CarbMate is just fine for synchronizing the carbs, however, the bad thing about using a device like the CarbMate is it is not well suited for trouble shooting because one really does not know what the actual vacuum levels are. If everything is OK with the engine & carbs and all you are doing is synchronizing them, then using a device like the CarbMate is just fine ... however, if you are having issues, it does not lend itself well for troubleshooting problems. This is one reason why I have both the CarbMate and gauges.

About the gauges, if one is inclined to order a pair ... don't make the same mistake I did when asleep at the wheel late one night clicking away ordering two vacuum gauges that were "0-30 inches of water" gauges. The inches of water gauges I accidentally ordered were DESTROYED a few seconds after the engine started .... an expensive mistake. Make sure the gauges are 0-30 inches of mercury and NOT inches of water. I can laugh about it now, but it was NOT funny at the time.
John-G, thank you! Here's my read back. Do the mechanical sync procedure first, then for the pneumatic procedure pick a side as REF and make all carb cable adjustments on just the opposite side in whatever direction that moves the red dot to the green in the center. Do this procedure for 2000, 3000, 4000 and at each RPM level make adjustments on each charbmate setting down to .05?
Am I close? Oh and then once Nurvana is achieved make final idle stop adjustments. ?
Old 08-05-2017, 08:22 PM

Doug - You have the general idea ....

I would suggest trying to first get an idle speed that is in the ballpark using Van's suggested idle speed range. Moving forward, while adjusting the non-reference carb, should the idle RPM go up or down tweak the idle accordingly then verify the carbs are still in sync at the idle speed you've chosen. You will find yourself going back and forth a few times. After you get the carbs close at idle, continue to the off idle synchronization.

For the high RPM I have read here and elsewhere that a little higher RPM than the 3,000 you mentioned is better for the off-idle adjustment because it insures the carbs are out of the idle circuit ... think I used 3,900 RPM which seems to have worked well. When you think about it this engine will typically either be operating at 1,800 to 2,100 when on the ground or well above 4,000 RPM in the air.
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2017
Old 08-05-2017, 08:59 PM

I use a Carbmate. I just suck on one of the sensor hoses each time to see which way the lights go and use the fact that the high suction side is the low load side.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-G View Post
Doug - You have the general idea ....

I would suggest trying to first get an idle speed that is in the ballpark using Van's suggested idle speed range. Moving forward, while adjusting the non-reference carb, should the idle RPM go up or down tweak the idle accordingly then verify the carbs are still in sync at the idle speed you've chosen. You will find yourself going back and forth a few times. After you get the carbs close at idle, continue to the off idle synchronization.

For the high RPM I have read here and elsewhere that a little higher RPM than the 3,000 you mentioned is better for the off-idle adjustment because it insures the carbs are out of the idle circuit ... think I used 3,900 RPM which seems to have worked well. When you think about it this engine will typically either be operating at 1,800 to 2,100 when on the ground or well above 4,000 RPM in the air.
Ok! Sounds to me, once center green/idle is lit up and let's just say 1800, then go 3800 but am I correct about making adjustments only on the nonREF side and doing them in each of carbmates 3 settings? Don't mean to nail it down here just looking for a proven jumping off point and the how. It's amazing how little there really is out there on the the web that goes into detail. I do believe it's easy as many say, but there's unwritten method to the madness for carbmate too. Sure wis others would pipe up to clue me in too. Thanks John G I'll take all with a grain of salt and get some experience. V/r Doug
Old 08-05-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
I use a Carbmate. I just suck on one of the sensor hoses each time to see which way the lights go and use the fact that the high suction side is the low load side.
Hey Rich, high suction and low load side, what then, ? Make cable adjustments on that side only? Thank you!
Old 08-06-2017, 12:23 AM

Just for fun:

Old school, triple side draft SU carbs, complete with oil pots