VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-09-2017, 01:04 PM

Default Noticed An Interesting Engine?

It's that time of year again...research for the annual Kitplanes Engine Buyers Guide. As before, I need your help. Don't want to miss a good one.

So gang, noticed anything new out there? Basic rules limit inclusion to whole engines and kits available to the EAB community, now or in the not-too-distant future, but the editors are flexible given enough promise. And for sure, it need not burn 100LL. We'll happily consider diesel, gas, electric, jet fuel, and dilithium crystal powerplants, if they can present a viable case.

If it's appropriate for your next RV, post here if you please. All others, kindly PM me, or email directly to danhorton(at)elmore.rr.com.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:42 PM

Not sure you have done this one:
www.front-electric-sustainer.com/

But it looks interesting to say the least.

Tim
Old 08-09-2017, 06:22 PM

I have been following this one by Aeromomentum based on a Suzuki G Series engine for several years now. Very affordable and looks promising for smaller airplanes/LSA's.

www.puertoricoflyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 08-09-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:12 PM

Default Turbine Aeronautics

Turbine Aeronautics, an Australian startup was discussed in this 'ere fred a few months ago.

120 & 200HP turboprops, with prices similar to a Rotax 914 for the 120HP and an IO-360 for the bigger one.

Hopefully they do well, and don't go the way of ATP from a few years ago....

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A 19-8519 - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Phase I done. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:26 PM

I wonder if it would be worth doing an update on DeltaHawk and EPS?

Tim
Old 08-09-2017, 07:45 PM

Default Warner 185X

John Worm has licensed the rights to begin manufacturing an experimental version of the Warner 185 hp, 7 cylinder radial engine. He has taken all of the original drawings and converted them to Solidworks and is almost done with his first engine, with improvements.

He wants to work with builders to produce FWF kits as announced below, including the RV8, among others.

550 cubic inches, 7 cylinders and more than 200 hp, swinging an 86 Aeromatic prop.

http://www.monocoupe.com/warner.html

Following is a cut and paste of a press release:

WARNER 185X
Grantville, PA
We are looking for owners of the following airplanes that are looking to install a Warner 185X radial engine on them. We have started a new division of our company that will create "Retro Fit" kits that will include engine mount, cowling, and any other sheetmetal or parts needed to install the new Warner on your airplane. For helping us with the project, the first owner will receive 50% off the retro kit with the purchase of a radial engine. Airplanes on the short list we are doing kits for are:

Hatz biplane

Great Lakes

RV8

Waco

Monocoupe 90/110

Sopwith Camel 

Starduster II 

Skybolt

Pitts
We are available to build retro kits to install the radial on any airplane and will offer our design and fabrication services of our new division to other airplane owners than listed... this is just the ones we are starting with. Message me and I will explain what we need from you to help with the project for your plane.. pretty simple stuff. So if you want a Warner 185X on your plane... message us
Sedona, AZ
Old 08-13-2017, 04:38 AM

Seems there is now a price on the Rotax 915's - $35,000USD - so delivery should be available soon if it isn't already. IMHO, this would be a top engine for the -9's, so if it isn't already on your list.....

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A 19-8519 - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Phase I done. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:47 AM

I'd love to see some in-depth coverage of any available electric motors & controllers. I realize that we're not 'there yet' for RV-class & bigger a/c, but a light 'after dinner' (or sunrise) flyer is very do-able with current tech. We just need to know which ones have been developed enough for us to take a look.

Charlie
Old 08-13-2017, 09:34 AM

Default pipistrel

I was on the Pipistrel website. Their sidebar main menu has a link called "electric systems" and clicking takes you to an offering of their Taurus "plug and play electric propulsion" kit including batteries, motor, prop and battery management system for sale. It would be interesting to know the applicability of that.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:18 PM

Default RE: Interesting Engine

The 'Edge Performance' Turbo & EFI R912STi (154HP/182NM) caught my eye recently. An outfit in Norway selling an upgrade for the standard Rotax 912ULS. About the same cost as the Rotax 915iS (expensive) but the Edge Performance R912STi is capable of more HP and is actually shipping.

One of these in an RV-12 would be interesting combo.

http://webshop.edgeperformance.no/index.php