Australia
Photos : https://goo.gl/photos/zsfBeVofHMe4ze7i7
Old 08-09-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyone View Post
Meanwhile ,down in Australia....

AWB 85-020 Issue 2 9 August 2017

https://www.casa.gov.au/file/187126/...token=itziGCHn
Not sure I understand why Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority listed Group 1 Factory Engines during 2011 calendar year. From reading the Lycoming SB, the bad parts started late 2015.

Copy / Paste Lycoming SB632B: "If your engine was overhauled or repaired on or after November 18, 2015,"
3,300+ hours
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6_flyer View Post
Not sure I understand why Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority listed Group 1 Factory Engines during 2011 calendar year. From reading the Lycoming SB, the bad parts started late 2015.

Copy / Paste Lycoming SB632B: "If your engine was overhauled or repaired on or after November 18, 2015,"
As several have speculated, it appears this problem may be a bit more widespread than the Lycoming SB indicates.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Rhonda, so what is (your opinion) the design issue? Are the Lyc bushings just dimensionally poor or is the bushing material too soft and they are yielding and losing preload?

Sorry for all the questions, but one more - are the bushings installed with rod and bushing cold and pressed, hot, or light pressed then internally burnished to expand and reamed to final dimension?
Sorry for the delay in response - still getting back in the swing after Oshkosh. I'm not privy to information as to whether it is a manufacturing issue or a material/design issue.

My initial thoughts were that the OD of the bushings was simply out of spec and it got missed in QA, or maybe that they weren't properly installed in the factory engines, but that doesn't make sense as Lycoming also quarantined lots of bushings sent out for field overhaul of rods.

The bushings are installed at room temp, pressed in then burnished and machined or rolled to final dimensions. I believe that ASSI rolls theirs to final dims.
Tulsa, OK 74115
(918) 835-1089 phone
(918) 835-1754 fax
www.barrettprecisionengines.com
Old 08-09-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSolana View Post
Well, my brand new engine is on the list. 80 hours, flying since March. After reading Mike Busch's comments, I am thinking I should take this plane to a really good repair facility and not just a local A&P.

Can anyone recommend a good repair shop to me? I am in Virginia, but am willing to fly it to a shop that is further away. In the end, i want to be flying an engine that I trust has been reassembled well. Some names I have come up with so far are Penn Yan, Zephyr, Triad, Aero Performance in PA. Does Aviall do repairs or just parts? Does Lycoming do engine repairs at their shop? What about Barrett's, Aerosport power, Superior, etc. You can tell I don't know anything about these shops!

Thanks for the help,

Rick Solana
RV-10
N804RS
Hi Rick:

We can complete the work for you and apply for the warranty through our Lycoming distributor if you like. I don't know if Lycoming will pay freight to and from me though. Worth checking on. Please feel free to contact me directly if you need assistance. 918-835-1089
Tulsa, OK 74115
(918) 835-1089 phone
(918) 835-1754 fax
www.barrettprecisionengines.com
Old 08-10-2017, 01:22 PM

Default FAA released AD

FAA releasing AD for "all" listed engines.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-insp...2017-16968.pdf
Pink slip - 7/2017
RV-10 Build Log
Old 08-10-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbewley View Post
Sorry for the delay in response - still getting back in the swing after Oshkosh. I'm not privy to information as to whether it is a manufacturing issue or a material/design issue.

My initial thoughts were that the OD of the bushings was simply out of spec and it got missed in QA, or maybe that they weren't properly installed in the factory engines, but that doesn't make sense as Lycoming also quarantined lots of bushings sent out for field overhaul of rods.
See the CASA link previously posted #61. Interesting reading, entirely correct or not.

BTW, for those who don't bother checking the suction screen at every oil change, Section 5 is worth a look.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbewley View Post

The bushings are installed at room temp, pressed in then burnished and machined or rolled to final dimensions. I believe that ASSI rolls theirs to final dims.
Rhonda, Thanks for a precise reply. That helps, If the busing was pressed and machined, I could see how the large gap might might have yielded less than 100% contact, but if it is roller burnished the expansion in place would press it to the rod wall. The CASA report shows an failure that I am not familiar with, it appears that small pieces are fatigued and broken off, resulting in a cocking load on the con-rod. Thinner walls are more difficult to retain installation press fits.

Op Lims in hand 12-7-17
Prep for 1st flight underway.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:40 PM

I bought an experimental O-360 through Vans about a year ago and it's on the list... about 50 hours on my engine now with no problems.

The odd thing is, I only found out about this from an A&P friend during casual conversation. Lycoming knows I have an engine on the list, shouldn't I have heard of this through them, like a serious-looking envelope in the mail or something?

What is the normal channel for an engine owner to be notified of a time sensitive SB?

CAF Stearman pilot
Old 08-14-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bernard View Post
What is the normal channel for an engine owner to be notified of a time sensitive SB?
In prior years, the owner who wanted to stay informed could buy a set of service letters/service instructions/service bulletins (SL/SI/SB) from Lycoming, and subscribe to annual Lycoming updates for a fee (about $50/year). Envelopes from Lycoming would show up in the mail every month or so with the latest documents. Starting this year, Lycoming stopped that service. You can now go to http://www.lycoming.com/contact/know...e/publications and see the latest publications, and sign up for notification of when publications are released/updated.

If you want a full set of publications (including hundreds of documents not shown on Lycoming's web site), Lycoming points you to a couple of vendors who sell electronic subscriptions for several hundred dollars per year.
RV-6A N47TD - 1100 hrs (sold)