VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-07-2017, 11:45 AM

Sam, IF you have the same problem the only fix is replacing the LCD Module and that requires that Dynon do the repair. Flew mine twice last weekend and it's looking like brand new.
Dick. Seiders
Old 08-08-2017, 04:36 PM

[quote=Tony_T;1185571]

Nice looking panel. I hope to be sitting next to you on the ramp one day. I have 544RV on reserve for my 7A.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:03 PM

Default You're not the only dim one ;-)

I believed my D180 was getting dimmer over the six years, and had already approached Dynon to see if there was an upgrade option.

And then this week, quite suddenly, the screen became unstable with two images, one an upside-down version overlaid on the other one. Interrmittent dim sections of the screen. And then I couldn't switch off the display, even with the master fuse removed.

It's gone to Dynon for repair today, via a UK agent who lent me a replacement. He did see the same issue running stand-alone off the internal battery, so its not an engine voltage issue.

Interestingly the suffix on my unit was neither 000 nor 001. It was 002, which I believe may be the code for the RV12-configured unit from Dynon.

Based on what I have read here, Scott assured us that the D180 is the superbright version, so I shouldn't need a $400 upgrade, just a $400 repair ;-)

Cheers...Keith

Last edited by gblwy : 08-15-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:20 PM

Default Configuring a replacement Dynon

...so I plugged in a loaner unit which had been configured for something completely different. I installed the latest Dynon Support Program version, then tried to restore a previous backup of my original unit in the hope that this would restore my original configuration settings. No such luck! It appears that you cannot back up serial number 1234 then restore to number 4321 - which I would have thought an essential feature.

No matter. Using the Vans pre-set pdf file it is possible to manually configure all of the settings. The fun bit was then adjusting the number and content of the "pages" to match the original, for which there are no Vans instructions.

Nearly all done, so we flew off to configure the AOA and check all other readings. Just one task remains, and that is to drain the fuel tank and configure the incremental filling thereof.

However we do have one unresolved problem. The fuel pressure now reads between 20 and 30 psi. We have checked the configuration parameters for this and they match Vans figures. Is it possible that the absence of configuration data for fuel volume could affect fuel pressure readings? Or have we coincidentally got a fuel pressure sensor problem?

Ideas?

Thanks...Keith

Last edited by gblwy : 08-15-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:00 PM

Hi Keith,

Is the Fuel Pressure Sensor Type set to (1) for carbureted engine in EMS configuration page?

If it is set at (2) for injected engine, this could be the problem.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 08-16-2017, 02:48 AM

Thanks, Tony, but it is definitely set to "1".
Old 08-23-2017, 03:42 AM

Default Very high fuel pressure, engine off!

I have now calibrated the fuel gauge, confirming this has no bearing on the fuel pressure indication.

The pressure is still showing around 20 psi with the engine off and electric fuel pump fuse pulled, so no fuel circulating. With the fuse replaced the fuel pressure is around 30 psi, again with no engine running. This is with master, avionics, and Dynon switched on.

I measured the voltage on the sender.

Red 4.96 volts, green 1.93 volts, black 0.01 volts. Does this make sense?

Thanks...Keith
Old 08-23-2017, 08:41 AM

Keith, I also have a D-180 and the fuel pressure sensor type is set to "1". My sensor has two 2 wires and is a resistance type. Your sensor has 3 wires and outputs a voltage. So that is the problem. Your D-180 is expecting a resistance but is actually getting a voltage instead. I simulated a voltage type sensor on my D-180 and, using trial and error, determined that sensor type 4 and 5 gave reasonable pressure displays. So I suggest that you change the fuel pressure sensor type to either 4 or 5.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:22 AM

Thanks, Joe. I'll try 4 or 5. However, it doesn't explain why changing the D180 unit produces very high readings. Unless, of course, my previous setting was 4 or 5, but I don't recall ever playing with this setting.

Cheers...Keith
Old 09-06-2017, 09:52 AM

Been flying with repaired D180 for several weeks now and it's working like new. Just wanted to give a favorable update.
Dick seiders