- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2017, 01:45 PM

Default Glazing cylinders during ground runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larco View Post
You might want to review your engine break in procedure before doing much driving around the airport. It would be a shame to glaze your cylinders??
Great point! At the A&P school I attended from '77-79, prior classes to ours overhauled both engines of a twin Baron; but the owner refused to fly it prior to the school putting at least ten hours on them! Therefore over the next year, each class would take it out and run the engines, and the following class the next semester would pull all the jugs off and de-glaze and reassemble them, and the next class would then put some more ground run hours on the engine. Crazy.

Doug Lomheim
RV-9A Mazda 13B / FWF
Old 08-11-2017, 09:12 PM

Just keep your engine test runs short and keep CHTs below 300 degrees F. I bedded the brakes by doing back-and-forth runs in front of my hangar. Hard braking from about 30 mph to 5 mph; accelerate; repeat about four times. Then let brakes cool for at least 30 minutes. They should grab a lot better at this point.

I did four-five engine test runs as described, with no glazing. I use less than a half quart of oil between 25-hour oil changes (engine currently has 165-ish hours).
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2017
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart