Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-08-2017, 05:35 PM

Bob,
What transponder do you have?
Has it been checked recently for proper radio power output?
Do you have the suppression line wired in to prevent the transponder from transmitting simultaneously - does your transponder have that function?
The TransMon with RG-400 has been known to be problematic as the RG400 is too good at shielding! Your use of other coax for the TransMon transition should have taken care of your issue...the TransMon is designed to make any mode C transponder become the control head - although there are limitations to the resultant control functionality. I recently learned that the TransMon gets you all or nothing - Standby and on gets you nothing - alt gets you everything - no anonymous mode when in alt mode (right now anyway).
I don't remember what data is required for the 3/A portion of the test... if it is altitude or squawk then the TransMon might be the issue. The other thing to consider is what is your altitude relative to antenna position and the ground station you are communicating with.

FYI, I have a SL-70 as my transponder - it has RS-232 output...wired to pin 33 of the ADS600B The 430W is wired for ADSB OUT + to the ADS600B - mine is a -0013 with the current software (waiting for the next release for AD compliance past 2020). I don't understand '0012 and 0013 hardware' in your statement - 0013 represents the ARINC converter (which I have).

Hope this helps - if you get desperate, I can throw your box in my plane to see if it works - we need to make sure it is either a 0012 or 0013 so I know what the interface is.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romper@q.com View Post
I have the 600B unit with 0012 and 0013 hardware and have wired my 430W as the GPS source. My problem is I can't pass the mode 3/A PAPR test, I usually get a 40% failure rate. Is my problem with the TransMonSpe? I'm using RG 400 cable and have even added a section of RG55 cable and put the TransMonSpe on that section. I get the same failure rate. All other parameters are spot on. Should I try another TransMonSpe?
Bob
I see that you're in Boise. How's the radar coverage out there? If you're flying low enough that the transponder doesn't get "pinged" by ATC or an airliner, there's no data for the Transmon to hear.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I have the 600B unit with 0012 and 0013 hardware and have wired my 430W as the GPS source. My problem is I can't pass the mode 3/A PAPR test, I usually get a 40% failure rate. Is my problem with the TransMonSpe? I'm using RG 400 cable and have even added a section of RG55 cable and put the TransMonSpe on that section. I get the same failure rate. All other parameters are spot on. Should I try another TransMonSpe?
Bob
What transponder do you have? You may want to wire a serial connection if your transponder is new enough to support that function.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:29 PM

It's a 327 transponder. The best results I've had was an 8% failure rate and that occurred shooting approaches at Boise (class B airspace). I had them manually review my flight and most of the failure points were during a turn, if that helps. I do appreciate all the input . If I can solve this 3/A problem I'll wait for a global AMOC and be happy.
Bob
Old 08-09-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
It's a 327 transponder. The best results I've had was an 8% failure rate and that occurred shooting approaches at Boise (class B airspace). I had them manually review my flight and most of the failure points were during a turn, if that helps. I do appreciate all the input . If I can solve this 3/A problem I'll wait for a global AMOC and be happy.
Bob
I have a 327 too. If my memory is correct, you just have to run three wires from it to the Navworx box. One pair to allow the transponder to function as a control head and one to eliminate you as a ghost. This will be more consistent than the transmon.

If you have the latest software rev for the 430, so it supports adsb+, then you'll be all set for the amoc. You just have to run a pair a wires from the 430 to the Navworx box.

When I talked to the faa last Wednesday, they thought the amoc was days away. I haven't received anything yet and have been too busy to call the faa this week. You should be set soon. In additional to whatever Navworx is doing, there will be three independent amoc issued. One for the 430/530 family, one for the 650/750 family, and one for the 480. They are basically approved already, we are just waiting for them get through the final faa processes.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:46 AM

Good news! The FAA has started approving and publishing some of the AMOCs for Navworx ADS-600B today. I will post an excerpt from the text below. Initially, these will only include ADS600-B 200-0012 and 200-0013 units that are using a Garmin 480, 430/530, and 650/750 units. I've been told that the other units within the family should be approved in a couple weeks.

One of the hold ups for the approvals was that the Forth Worth ACO wanted to ensure that units with the AMOC were still eligible for the ADSB rebates. I was told that if you are eligible for a rebate (I'm not) and have the AMOC, you should be good when you apply for the rebate.

Also, AOPA has volunteered to facilitate the public distribution of the AMOC. I've been told that almost a thousand folks are impacted. I'm grateful to AOPA for handling the distribution because I don't think Ralph, Phil, or myself are up to that daunting task. Once AOPA has finalized the process for distribution, I will share that with you as well.

If you have a -EXP unit or another certified GPS, you'll have to wait a bit longer to get you AMOC. In talking with Bill and the FAA, I am aware that Bill is working with the FAA. But I don't know much more than that. The FAA isn't allowed to share information on any of the activities that they are working with Bill for obvious NDA reasons.

I also have to give credit were it's due. There have been four people actively involved in the process working to get these through the FAA process and approved. Ralph Capen (RECAPEN) provided data on for the Garmin 430/530 approval, Phil Yoder (PYODER - soon to be a RV-10 builder) provided data for the Garmin 480, and I provided data for the Garmin 650/750. Mike Heusser from the FAA walked us through the process and helped to drive these to approvals.

Please don't ask for copies of the AMOCs directly from any of us. Please wait a few days until AOPA has their distribution process established.

Here's a text excerpt from the 650/750 AMOC.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has received your proposal dated June 22, 2017, proposing FAA approval of a global AMOC to AD 2017-11-11 for a NavWorx ADS600-B, Part Numbers 200-0012 and 200-0013. AD 2017-11- 11 requires the ADS600-B unit to be removed or disabled if it is not coupled to an approved NexNav Mini GPS receiver, PIN 21000.

You are proposing a global AMOC to paragraph (e)(l)(iv)(A) of AD 2017-11-11 by coupling the ADS600-B with Garmin GTN 650 or 750 series Global Positioning System (GPS) sources.

Your proposal provides an acceptable level of safety to (e)(1)(iv)(A) based on your installation drawings, which document the coupling of the ADS600-B unit with a Garmin GPS source, and the Public ADS-B Performance Report of May 10, 2017. For section (e)(l )(iv)(B), you proposed a placard next to the ADS600-B unit that states, "OPERATION USING THE INTERNAL POSITION SOURCE IS PROHIBITED. USE OF THE GARMIN GTN-650(750) EXTERNAL POSITION SOURCE IS REQURED" .

The Fort Worth Aircraft Certification Office (ACO) approves your AMOC proposal to paragraph (e)(l)(iv)(A) and (B) of AD 2017-11-11 by using Garmin GTN 650 or 750 as an external GPS source in place of the NexNav Mini and adding the placard as described above. Furthermore, the application of this AMOC will bring the ADS-B system into compliance with TSO C154c and 14 CFR §91.227 requirements.

In accordance with FAA Order 8110.103B, the following conditions apply:

• Before using this AMOC, notify your appropriate principal inspector, or lacking a principal inspector, the manager of the local Flight Standards District Office/Certificate Holding District Office.
• All provisions of AD 2017-11-11 that are not specifically referenced above remain fully applicable and must be complied with accordingly .
• This FAA AMOC is transferable with the aircraft to an operator who operates the aircraft under U.S. registry .

Last edited by rleffler : 08-11-2017 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-11-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has received your proposal dated June 22, 2017, proposing FAA approval of a global AMOC to AD 2017-11-11 for a NavWorx ADS600-B, Part Numbers 200-0012 and 200-0013. AD 2017-11- 11 requires the ADS600-B unit to be removed or disabled if it is not coupled to an approved NexNav Mini GPS receiver, PIN 21000.

You are proposing a global AMOC to paragraph (e)(l)(iv)(A) of AD 2017-11-11 by coupling the ADS600-B with Garmin GTN 650 or 750 series Global Positioning System (GPS) sources.

Your proposal provides an acceptable level of safety to (e)(1)(iv)(A) based on your installation drawings, which document the coupling of the ADS600-B unit with a Garmin GPS source, and the Public ADS-B Performance Report of May 10, 2017. For section (e)(l )(iv)(B), you proposed a placard next to the ADS600-B unit that states, "OPERATION USING THE INTERNAL POSITION SOURCE IS PROHIBITED. USE OF THE GARMIN GTN-650(750) EXTERNAL POSITION SOURCE IS REQURED" .

The Fort Worth Aircraft Certification Office (ACO) approves your AMOC proposal to paragraph (e)(l)(iv)(A) and (B) of AD 2017-11-11 by using Garmin GTN 650 or 750 as an external GPS source in place of the NexNav Mini and adding the placard as described above. Furthermore, the application of this AMOC will bring the ADS-B system into compliance with TSO C154c and 14 CFR 91.227 requirements.

In accordance with FAA Order 8110.103B, the following conditions apply:

Before using this AMOC, notify your appropriate principal inspector, or lacking a principal inspector, the manager of the local Flight Standards District Office/Certificate Holding District Office.
All provisions of AD 2017-11-11 that are not specifically referenced above remain fully applicable and must be complied with accordingly .
This FAA AMOC is transferable with the aircraft to an operator who operates the aircraft under U.S. registry .
I now have all three AMOCs in my possession and they've been sent to AOPA. Once we get the process from AOPA, we'll share them here.

One gotcha that I just noticed in the 480 AMOC, is that it's only approved for a 200-0013. We're working on getting the 200-0012 included, as well as the other models. I've was told to expect the next update from the FAA mid-week next week.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:11 AM

Thanks very much for all your work on this issue guys! Looking forward to possibly getting a rebate now :-)
Old 08-11-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
I now have all three AMOCs in my possession and they've been sent to AOPA. Once we get the process from AOPA, we'll share them here.
Bob,

Thank you for sharing the AMOC text. Your audience will also need to know the AMOC number itself (should be in the header of the letter they sent you) to reference when they communicate with their FSDO.

David
Old 08-11-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBunin View Post
Bob,

Thank you for sharing the AMOC text. Your audience will also need to know the AMOC number itself (should be in the header of the letter they sent you) to reference when they communicate with their FSDO.

David
That's why I specifically stated it's an excerpt. It's only about half the text and not enough for anyone to submit it to their Fsdo. Like I stated, everyone will have to wait until aopa has their distribution process online. I spent a fair amount of time talking with them today. It looks like they may have something ready mid-week. I won't go into all the details, it there is quite a bit work going on in the background on this. It's more than just sending out a copy of the amoc itself.