- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2017, 09:32 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Maule View Post
I suspect I'm who Dan was referring to in an earlier post. foxhound57 can you post some more pictures of the one piece gear as it mounts to the fuselage? Did you use a wider center web ?
VA Maule

No worries!

I think Dan missed my subtle point on my previous post – I am at work enjoying jet-lag ex LAX into JFK this evening. I am on a nine-day Flight Pattern. Therein, I do not, carry my RV Engineering data or Build images with me. They are safe and secure on the desktop at home!

602kts GS on the way across LAX to JFK!

However, I am more than happy to send you what I have back in Oz and if/when I can locate the installation instructions from Grove and my Engineers Drawings I would be delighted to forward them onto you with supporting images. Note, we had install options!

BTW my one-piece Grove gear is working exceptionally well, and I am pleased with the product, design, and performance.

Meanwhile, I have sent what I have via PM to you!
Old 08-05-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhound57 View Post
Gibbo, I am just chalking up some hours in Hervey Bay between Flight Patterns.

I have Col Crittenden lined up to take me through the finer points of RV8 flying so I can deal with those August Westerly winds in the Bay

After that, I will be on a quick sojourn South later in the year, and I will drop into the Hunter before or catch up with you at Narromine.

More than happy to take you for a fly!

Safe Flying
Col's a great guy Perry! He has always had time for me. Looking forward meeting you soon.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yen View Post
That is an appropriate main gear for us Aussies. Much the same as my Corby Starlet. How long are you in Central Qld for.
Yes, indeed the Corby Starlet has an appropriate size gear to keep it out of the rough in our bush strips.

Yen, I have a Hangar I own in Hervey Bay.

Which I will be operating the RV8 out of and I also have a Lancair ES which I am Building.

So it is a permanent base
Old 08-05-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit View Post
There is also a chapter at nearby Compton airport that might be a better choice to see some actual building.
-Marc
Marc

Thank you for that advice I will research same and follow up.

Safe Flying

Perry
Old 08-06-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhound57 View Post
I think Dan missed my subtle point on my previous post – I am at work enjoying jet-lag ex LAX into JFK this evening. Therein, I do not, carry my RV Engineering data or Build images with me.
Thank you for your previous Perry, but no, he didn't.

You see, the first question doesn't require engineering data, and I supplied an image from the plans. I simply asked if your one piece gear incorporated the standard inboard fasteners. The assembly is right there in plain sight on the cockpit floor, so to use your phrase, even Blind Freddy can tell if they are present or not. We can all see the weldment in your photo, but it's too small to see the nuts.

Second question merely asked for a clarification of what you wrote in your first post, which was "The final design was over 36 inches in length and six inches in height. The extra undercarriage height suits the “rough” unimproved airfields that predominates throughout the Australian outback". Given that you also posted "Being a Builders Assist project, Perry, his charming wife Leigh and youngest daughter Kristy, were hands on throughout every phase of the construction project", I assumed you would have some memory of the simple stuff.

I would certainly expect a need to consult your notes, or ask Heather, or your hired gun, if I had asked for the tension loads on the outboard bolts with the longer legs. The standard 0.375" NAS bolts have an expected strength of about 14,000 lbs. The nut shown in the plans was stripping in service at about 12,500, per actual test by a good engineer. Many of us have replaced it with a nut which tested at 15,800 or 16,200. There has been some minor debate about that choice, as the softer nut surely protects the gear tower to a degree. Obviously lengthening the gear legs requires a good look at the new loads, for both the bolts and the towers, so yes, many of us would like to know what your numbers look like when you get back to Oz. Your team's analysis could be a serious contribution to the RV-8 community's knowledge base.

For now, back to simple questions please. Can we get a "yes" or "no" on the inboard bolts being present, and (A) or (B) on the leg length?

Old 08-06-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
So yes, many of us would like to know what your numbers look like when you get back to Oz. Your team's analysis could be a serious contribution to the RV-8 community's knowledge base.
Dan!

Polite approaches and courtesy are customary in my part of the world.

Kindly note please, that I have supplied what I have on my work laptop to VA Maule by PM regarding my one-piece Grove gear.

I have also shared further build information to other readers of this forum who have inquired via PM and E-mail.

Some members apparently seem to prefer to PM or E-mail rather than Post. Is that because of You?

As stated to members on this thread once I am back on the other side of the Planet, (Australia) I will forward whatever further data I can locate regarding my Grove one-piece gear installation plus multiple images (both external and internal images) as applicable. Accuracy, Exactness, and Correctness being the aim of the information sharing process.

Dan, patience, please. Kindly read this and attempt to comprehend same. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:59 PM

Hi VA Maule

Just sent you another P.M. with additional images. Trust this helps.

Regards
Perry
Old 08-06-2017, 08:24 PM

Default Grove gear

Very helpful and thanks for taking the time to share.

No problems yet as most of the fuselage is still in the box Doing all the due diligence investigating I can, will probably fabricate a full scale mockup out of low grade Al. to determine adequate prop clearance and most likely a somewhat wider stance. I'm also strongly considering a 5" to 6" web under the gear towers to counteract the forces of the longer legs.
Cessna 172M(for rent)
Avid Flyer (Hapi VW) (4 sale)
Raidial RV-8R Getting Started
Old 08-08-2017, 09:49 AM

Perry, did you or your group spin-test the airplane? And if so, could you outline the aft CG and gross weight test points covered?

The reason I'm asking is that while some of the changes might indeed be favorable, one thing is certain, that the pitch and yaw mass inertia increased. These can have an effect on spins.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-08-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
Perry, did you or your group spin-test the airplane?

Thanks,
Dave
As you are aware, David, Spins are required by demonstration for certification. However, I noted in my Pre-Flight Testing research for my RV8 that even certified aircraft could bypass the requirement with a FAA waiver in the USA! I could not find anything regarding the JAA or EASA (not that I looked too hard at the time!)

I believe Cirrus ascertained a FAA waiver for the SR-20/22. I ponder why they sought that?

Allegedly, the waiver was granted with the understanding that apparently the only way to recover a Cirrus from a spin is to pull the ballistic chute! (certainly not my first choice of options!).

The FAA stated that for Normal category aeroplanes. A single-engine, normal category aeroplane must be able to recover from a one-turn spin or a three-second spin, whichever takes longer, in not more than one additional turn after initiation of the first control action for recovery, or demonstrate compliance with the optional spin resistant requirements of this section.

Of course, we now move into the area of Experimental Aircraft and the rules as applicable to FAA, Transport Canada and the MDRA and Australia with the SAAA and CASA.

As much as I wanted to do my own Test Flying I yielded to appointing a Test Pilot under advice. His flight notes indicate a 1 Rotation Spin.

This requirement was also met for the application for increased MTOW.

The aircraft spins. The aircraft is recoverable and I believe your synopsis to be correct given the longer arm to the Rudder. The aircraft is approved for Loops, Rolls, Spins, and Combinations thereof, I surmise as much as any RV8!

I cannot give much more advice as,

a) I have never placed a normal RV8 into a Spin and

b) At present are dealing with my Tailwheel Landings given that the August Westerly winds make landing in Coastal Areas of Australia a tad challenging!

I'll get to testing the Full Flight envelope a little later and can let you know more details then! I will also be back home on Friday from this current flight pattern so if there is any further information in the Test Notes I'll P.M. you.

Perry