- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
But if you're cutting for the McMaster seals, you will ultimately grind/sand for a 1/4" gap from the door, and that takes the curved portion of the door sill pretty much flat, parallel to the inside surface of the door. This results in a sharp edge, and necessitates building up the door sill edge to a consistent 1/4" thickness. Best done IMO as others have done, with pieces of McMaster seal used as a removable/reusable mold to hold flox in place on the door sill while it cures. Gives a perfect fit. Do other stuff while it cures. The leftover piece from a 25 foot order will do one doorway in about 5 cure sessions/nights. But be careful with it. Tears if handled roughly.
I had issues with that approach. Ended up having to manually build everything up later and then sand it all down. Ended up turning out great but my initial cutting to the scribe line probably made the entire thing much harder.
Donated for 2017
Old 08-07-2017, 08:04 PM

Default McMaster Carr door seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhip View Post
How can I find Ivan K's measurements? I'm getting ready to fit my cabin cover this week!
Here is a link to the section of my build for the doors which includes a number of pictures showing measurements of where to cut. The very first slide is actually a little video, which I had forgotten all about, it gives some specific measurements. Some areas get a bit thin but that is required in order to be able to close the door using the McMaster Carr seal. I built up the inside of those areas so that the seal grip was retained.

https://ivankristensen.smugmug.com/B...t/Cabin-doors/

Ivan
Home field is Waterloo Regional Airport (CYKF) Ontario Canada,

2017 VAF dues paid.

Link to my build site:
https://ivankristensen.smugmug.com/B...ENTAL-aircraft

Last edited by Ivan Kristensen : 08-07-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorJ View Post
I had issues with that approach. Ended up having to manually build everything up later and then sand it all down. Ended up turning out great but my initial cutting to the scribe line probably made the entire thing much harder.
What I describe is one approach to "building it up later." In my case, sanding the cabin top to a distance of 1/4" away from the inside of the doors was beyond any scribe lines I could make out.

He will have to sand some doorway material away just to get clearance for the door pieces to seat flush for initial assembly (drilling and clecoing to the outside of the cabin while the door bond cures). From there it's very straightforward to scribe the 1/4" gap line from the inner door face, and check progress as he goes with a go/no-go feeler gauge.

In my case, much of the doorway was left with a knife-edge after this final trim. What was still full thickness was checked with a 1/4" gap gauge and if necessary ground down to 1/4" thickness for the edge seal to grip to. The rest was built up with flox, cast-in-place with seal material as the female mold. I'm very happy with the results so far.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 08-08-2017, 08:41 AM

Thanks for all the reply's. Lynn