Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2017, 06:35 PM

Default SLSA registration possible for Synergy-assisted build by owner?

I know that a 100% Synergy-built RV-12 can be registered as an SLSA, and that an owner-built RV-12 can be registered as an ELSA or EAB.

A fellow named Dennis Schoenberg participated in the building of his RV-12 at Synergy. He explained what he did in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqO2ljyuTKI .

Schoenberg registered his RV-12 as an Experimental. But did he have to?

Would an RV-12 built at Synergy, with significant involvement by the owner, be eligible for an SLSA registration, or would it have to be registered as an ELSA (or EAB)?
Old 07-31-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lon@carolon.net View Post
I know that a 100% Synergy-built RV-12 can be registered as an SLSA, and that an owner-built RV-12 can be registered as an ELSA or EAB.

A fellow named Dennis Schoenberg participated in the building of his RV-12 at Synergy. He explained what he did in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqO2ljyuTKI .

Schoenberg registered his RV-12 as an Experimental. But did he have to?

Would an RV-12 built at Synergy, with significant involvement by the owner, be eligible for an SLSA registration, or would it have to be registered as an ELSA (or EAB)?
I guess my question to you is: Why would you want S-LSA if you are going to build it? Other than being able to use it to charge for flight instruction, don't see an advantage. E-LSA, being "experimental" gives you the ability to do "all repair work" (part 43 does not apply to them); with a 16 hour class, you can get a repairman-inspection license to do annual inspections and sign-off.
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2017 Dues Paid
Old 07-31-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom30 View Post
I guess my question to you is: Why would you want S-LSA if you are going to build it? Other than being able to use it to charge for flight instruction, don't see an advantage. E-LSA, being "experimental" gives you the ability to do "all repair work" (part 43 does not apply to them); with a 16 hour class, you can get a repairman-inspection license to do annual inspections and sign-off.
Good question, and I have an answer. When the time comes to sell the plane, the pool of potential buyers would include flight schools and pilots who wouldn't be interested in an amateur built plane, if the RV-12 an SLSA but not if it's an ELSA. I also have friends who are flight instructors, and they could use the plane to give instruction if it's an SLSA.

I'd like to participate in building the plane just for the pleasure of doing so. I got into flying after building several radio controlled helicopters -- each new one bigger than the last. The last one I built is too big to fly in my backyard, and the closest model aircraft park is too far away to go there often. As a result, I've flown that last helicopter very little. But I sure did enjoy building it.

Participating in the building of an RV-12 would give me the same kind of pleasure, on an even grander scale. But I'd like the build to be finished in less time than it would take me to build it on my own. And I also don't have a place or the tools to do the job myself.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:58 PM

There are professional builders. But they have to charge more if the owner helps because the owner will slow down the builder.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineJ79 View Post
There are professional builders. But they have to charge more if the owner helps because the owner will slow down the builder.
Yes, I've seen photos of the workshop signs:
Labor charges
$100/hour
$125/hour if you watch
$150/hour if you help

I don't expect to save money by participating in the build. I even wondered whether doing so may make the plane more expensive than if I simply purchased a 100% Synegy-built SLSA.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Good question, and I have an answer. When the time comes to sell the plane, the pool of potential buyers would include flight schools and pilots who wouldn't be interested in an amateur built plane, if the RV-12 an SLSA but not if it's an ELSA. I also have friends who are flight instructors, and they could use the plane to give instruction if it's an SLSA.
Perhaps. However, from what I've seen, just the opposite is true. I've seen SLSA RV-12 priced tens of thousands less than what they cost just to sell them. I don't think your potential pool is that much larger, but maybe I'm wrong. It's all a matter of the market at the time you sell so who knows.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 08-01-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I don't expect to save money by participating in the build. I even wondered whether doing so may make the plane more expensive than if I simply purchased a 100% Synegy-built SLSA.
Maybe Synergy could hire you on as a temporary unpaid intern, that way it would still be a 100% Synergy-built SLSA RV-12. If that even makes a difference. I have no idea what the rules and requirements are for an airplane to qualify as SLSA.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 08-01-2017, 01:58 PM

Default we could---

get into the debate again over build assist facilities like Synergy and others. Thats probably for another thread.

Tom
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 08-01-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Flightlines View Post
get into the debate again over build assist facilities like Synergy and others. Thats probably for another thread.

Tom
I've been reading this forum for quite a while, but I missed that debate. Is the debate about whether kit-builders should use build assist facilities like Synergy, or is the debate about whether using them (to build anything other than an ELSA) is legal under the EAB 51% rule?