VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-20-2017, 07:10 AM

Thanks Scott. I checked it this am and the canopy is as solid as a rock. I am very pleased with it. The seams are not quite as sloppy as I thought, buy I am going to smooth them a little with fresh 295 as I fill the gaps later this morning.

I was worried about how I could remove the spacers and still keep the canopy clamped for a week or so, but that appears not to be an issue. The Sika does not move at all with the clamps on or off. It is set! No worry that the clamps will compress the seams with the spacers removed.

Now I am researching painting the seams. It is said that the 295 is able to be painted, so I may paint them white to match the canopy frame.....which I left white, but then I will probably wait until I paint the plane years from now to paint the canopy frame to match. Who knows?

At any rate, the process is so very simple really. I have plenty left to do though. Side skirts, rear skirts, blocks, latches, windshield, etc., etc.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwputnam View Post
Bruce,
I intend to pull the spacers tomorrow AM and then go back and add Sika 295 to the gaps and add to the current fillets so that I can smooth them out and make them more presentable. I am hoping that the added Sika 295 cures over the top of the fillets. If not, I will just leave them as is. Your opinion?
Yes, you can easily layer on the Sikaflex over itself. I would try to do so within 24 hours. I think I read that somewhere in the product documentation back in the day...

I would smooth out the fillets and get the tape on the edges pulled off right away before the Sikaflex starts to form a skin on it. If it starts to skin up and then you pull the tape, it will mess up the nice smooth edge from the tape. Either that or wait until it is fully cured to pull the tape.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2017 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 07-20-2017, 08:43 PM

Any issue with using 295-UVW which is white in color?
RV-7, N742GM (Reserved)
http://mykitlog.com/mhead
Donated 1/3/17
Old 07-21-2017, 06:11 AM

Default NO electric

I DO NOT recommend using electrical tape. I know many have successfully but electrical tape is not designed for this purpose. Use 3M Fine Line tape. It is designed to cope with the various chemicals and solvents. Sure it is more money but the canopy is so critical.
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N707EE-Building
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver