- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2017, 02:11 PM

Default Dimpling Aileron Leading Edges for counterweight

Working with the leading edge and the counterweight tube.. Have the 120 dies / countersink for CS4 rivets...

1- With that skin wrapping around the tube, I don't think I can dimple the skin with a "flat" dimple die set on such a tight radius. So my plan is to countersink the tube, and then use the tube as the "female" die, and hit the skin with the male dimple die in the rivet gun. Any gotchas with this approach?

2- Since these rivets are on a tight outside radius, should I over countersink a few thou to get the rivets to flush to the skin? I'm assuming that laterally (along the length of the aileron) they'll flush no problem, but worried about them protruding vertically on the top / bottom as the skin rolls away?

Any tips before I dive in? Am I overthinking this step? Thx-
VAF Dues paid - 2017
Old 07-14-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cczarnik View Post
Working with the leading edge and the counterweight tube.. Have the 120 dies / countersink for CS4 rivets...

1- With that skin wrapping around the tube, I don't think I can dimple the skin with a "flat" dimple die set on such a tight radius. So my plan is to countersink the tube, and then use the tube as the "female" die, and hit the skin with the male dimple die in the rivet gun. Any gotchas with this approach?

2- Since these rivets are on a tight outside radius, should I over countersink a few thou to get the rivets to flush to the skin? I'm assuming that laterally (along the length of the aileron) they'll flush no problem, but worried about them protruding vertically on the top / bottom as the skin rolls away?

Any tips before I dive in? Am I overthinking this step? Thx-
1. That's how I did it on my RV-3B.

2. You can form the rivet heads to the curve on the top and bottom.

It appears to have worked fine, but then again, my plane's not flying yet. What do I know?

Dave
RV-3B Skinning the fuselage
Old 07-14-2017, 03:05 PM

Don't overthink this...

"Machine countersink the holes in the counterbalance pipe. The countersink need not be 120 to match that of the rivet heads. The .020 skin and the aluminum blind rivet will deform sufficiently to contour to a 100 countersunk hole."

Just do a normal countersink. You can grind off one side of a dimple die to make it fit inside the radius. Then just set the pulled rivets and move one.

It's not even visible once the aileron is installed.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:45 PM

Default Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
1. That's how I did it on my RV-3B.

2. You can form the rivet heads to the curve on the top and bottom.

It appears to have worked fine, but then again, my plane's not flying yet. What do I know?

Dave
RV-3B Skinning the fuselage
Make that two. I did the same.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2016. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.