VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-02-2017, 07:16 AM

Default Beringer lines to the brakes

I installed the whole Beringer brake a wheel system to my 14A.

All went according to JDA's list. I had to get a few extra of those tiny press fit collars as stated because if you have to re-do an end fitting they are not recoverable/reuseable, the other fitting parts are reuseable.

When you run the lines out to the brakes (on the 14A) you have to enlarge the pass-thru holes in the spar carry through webs in order to get the slightly larger diameter hose through the snap-in hole grommets. Best to do this by using a dremel to enlarge the holes off center because of the proximity of at least two of the holes (can't remember exactly) instead of using a step drill - as that gets the holes a bit too close to each other.

And, you have to wait until you run the hoses all the way to the brake line fitting at the fuselage pass-thru point down the gear leg (on the 14A) before you install that line end fitting (or opposite end if you pass it though that way.

All went pretty painless.
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195
Start 10/11/14
IO-390 Lyc Tbolt / CS Hartzell
Dues paid 12/1/17 (USArmy 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47
Old 07-02-2017, 07:54 AM

Default Here's our version--

We've been playing with the Beringer conversion a little bit for the RV14 and 14A, as well as for the other RV models. To use our banjo hose ends, we use a -3 teflon hose. It works well, and in the case of the 14A it means little modification to route the hoses to the main gear fittings. WE have -3 AN hose ends on the airframe fittings, and 10mm banjo CRIMPED hose ends on the Beringer accessories, like the master cylinders, calipers, parking brake valve, and for those that use it, the antiskid valve.

When using Beringer's re-usable hose ends, you can actually route the hoses through the spar, then terminate the ends, being careful to do it correctly to provide a leak-free assembly. In our package, we are providing the AN adapter fittings to change from -4 to -3 at the reservoir, and the gear/firewall passthroughs.

We have several of these packages out there for builders to use, both for the RV14 and RV14A. Shout out to Ryan McGarty in Charleston, SC, that allowed us to see his 14A and do a mockup install. We also have a few 14's, one with a parking brake and an antiskid valve installed, but I dont have any pics as of yet.

Honestly there is an advantage to using the "make your own hoses" that Beringer provides in their package. That is not everyone will place the parking brake valve, and/or the antiskid valve in the same locations as everyone else. (Not yet anyway). On the antiskid clients install, we felt that, gee if you are going to have an adjustable valve, you might as well locate it so you can reach it to adjust it. So--in his install we wanted him to mount it at the throttle cable mount brackets. That way the thumbscrew was accessible, and the hose routings were out of the way.

With our package, YES we can make the hoses any length you want, we just have to know where you are mounting the valves. YEP--one of these days we'll come up with a final location for these that is universal to all builders.

Tom

RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 07-02-2017, 09:07 AM

Default Rob--

how are you going to adjust the brake bias with all the panel and forward substructure in place?

Tom
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 07-02-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Flightlines View Post
how are you going to adjust the brake bias with all the panel and forward substructure in place?

Tom
Besides the initial setting, I don't think the ALIR will be adjusted to often afterwards. I looked into installing it on the mid rudder support but couldn't come up with a layout I was happy with for various reasons. In its current place I'm going to just reach under and give it a turn.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:00 PM

Default I agree with that--

and hope that the bias is fairly neutral as installed. Yes, once its adjusted, you can leave it, in most cases.
Be safe!

Tom
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com