What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fm-150 with airflow bracket mix cable way too long

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
My mixture cable is far too long. What did y’all do with the extra length? I have the bracket installed per the airflow instruction and threads on here. I got creative and routed around the mount to take up some slack and will need some Adels..

Last edited:
Just installed mine today and seems "just right" using the bracket from Airflow and positioned per Nova RV's recommendations.

Ran the cable down from the center pass-through directly to the bracket.

Mine fit with the stock cables

I flipped the mixture bracket (the part that attaches to the big plate and holds the cable jam-nuts) 180-degrees so the tab is on the forward edge. It is opposite of the picture in the instructions. I get full travel on the mixture control and it fits. Throttle bracket is per the plans. Maybe someday I?ll actually run the motor and verify it works. :)

I flipped the mixture bracket (the part that attaches to the big plate and holds the cable jam-nuts) 180-degrees so the tab is on the forward edge. It is opposite of the picture in the instructions. I get full travel on the mixture control and it fits. Throttle bracket is per the plans. Maybe someday I?ll actually run the motor and verify it works. :)

This is what I was referring to in referencing Nova RV's experience. I get the impression that someday in the near future a bunch of RV-14/14A's are suddenly going to fly on the same day....

Well mine is definitely too long by a couple of inches. Maybe it is just made that way. I brought it straight down and then circled the inboard lower mount leg (14A). It has the feature of going exactly halfway between the exhaust pipes like that instead of rubbing which is what it looked to do coming straight in. Will place an adel on it to keep it off the mount leg.

I also found that the bolt supplied by Airflow Performance for my mixture arm was too long to install with the nut between the arm and engine as showed in the pics. I reversed it with nut down and operates fine that way.

I've also got a whole bag of brackets and nuts/washers that I'm not going to use because of not using the Van's stock setup. Oh well; I needed just a couple of things out of it for the governor cable. If I was ordering again I'd omit the Van's cable part bag and buy the rod ends/washers/etc as loose parts.

I'm also super happy with the way the SteinAir custom cable control panel looks. It is super sturdy. I put masking tape over the part while I drilled the holes up to size.

1463_panel1.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe you got an incorrect part

Mine is a taildragger and I used a Vetterman exhaust but even with that modification the stock cables still worked. I would guess that the tri-gear has different length cables. If you haven’t already done it you might could check with Vans to make sure you got the right part.

I also had my mechanic look at my cable runs before I did anything permanent for a sanity check. Actually two of them.

Oh...and I wish, wish, wish I had angled my CB panel like that. I love it but I’m curious how it affects access to the tunnel,and the fuel pump.

Last edited:
You can?t get at the pump with the CB panel in. I laid in the power cabling such that the unit can be angled down and aft then extended together further aft and finally up to give good access. The cabling comes in low at the back and then runs up from there to all the CB.

As to the cable I could ask vans to swap it out they probably did send me one that is too long. But then I?d have to take it all apart and I like the trajectory I achieved avoiding the exhaust. I will also have a local mechanic check it out. But if I secure it properly it should be fine.

I did the exhaust first so I?m seeing where it wants to interfere. The exhaust kit had a shield for the throttle but not for the mixture cable. I?m wondering if it matters? What about the little rubber boots do they survive the heat down there?

I bought three additional shields because of the cable routing for the FM-150. I also put firesleeve on the throttle and mixture cables where they pass through the exhaust.

Something to think about for sure. What about the rubber parts do they stay or go? The vans drawing specifically mentions putting them on for the governor but not for the mixture or throttle cables.

Back