What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 parts compatibility?

JumpNurse

Greetings all! I'm looking to finally actually starting a build soon and the RV 14 looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I recently purchased a set of tools and basically got a 7 empennage for free. The 7 just isn't quite what I want, so my questions is does van's use identical parts between models? I'm trying to decide if it would be wiser to hold on to the kit with the idea that when I screw up a part I potentially have a replacement in the shop or get rid of the kit. I would imagine there is limited instances, but it would be nice to have a spare rib or piece of angle in the shop rather than waiting on shipping. Any insight would be appreciated!

Shane

I think it would be a very limited instance when you could borrow a part from the 7 emp. To make a repair on the 14. You could use those parts to practice riveting, priming, painting, etc. or make some cool wall art:D

Some ribs are identical to the RV-10 but I doubt they are also RV-7 part #. I would think you could sell your kit and purchase any parts you need if you mess up and be money ahead.

Couple of thoughts.

You could hang the tail and display it as art.
You could sell it.
You could donate to a high school vocational department.
Salvage?

I kind of figured that would be the answer. The vertical stab looks to be mostly finished, but the rest still needs to be completed. Not sure I want to go through that much work for art. Thanks for the info gents!

what to do with 7 tail kit

build the 7 rudder for the practice. You will learn so much about the building process, tools needed etc. and you will most certainly learn from your mistakes so they will not be duplicated on the 14 tail kit.

Back