What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

About to order the wings...anything else?

jwellman

I?m about to place my order for the SB wings as I?m about to start on the tail cone (hopefully this gives me enough time to get the empennage completed!) I?m planning on removing the wing tips as I?m going to use ZipTips but should I be planning on picking up other things as well? Mostly thinking about pitot tubes AOA indicators, AP servos, etc.

Anything you?d suggest adding/removing from this order?

Thank you!
Jared

Anytime I ship a crate that big, I toss in some large sheets of aluminum...

Along with extra aluminum, I?d stock up on hardware...bolts, nuts, washers, screws, rivets, bushings, cotter pins, etc...

While your getting your pitot tube and what you need to get it installed along with roll servo; don?t forget the installation kits and roll trim servo and all hardware.

It?s a great time to make a decision on which avionics platform you?re going with, which informs which servo model and installation kit to buy.

It?s a great time to make a decision on which avionics platform you?re going with, which informs which servo model and installation kit to buy.

Actually, if you?re just finishing the tail kit, I?d say it?s too early to lock in avionics choices. Unless you?re working at a frantic pace. You can get the servos in after the wing is done. But I?d think about the pitot mounting bracket and tubing now.

J-channel

It was suggested to me by my TC that I get some extra J-channel stiffeners for the wings. May as well make use of the big long boxes and fill them with things that are expensive to ship on their own.

Actually, if you’re just finishing the tail kit, I’d say it’s too early to lock in avionics choices. Unless you’re working at a frantic pace. You can get the servos in after the wing is done. But I’d think about the pitot mounting bracket and tubing now.

I’d say it’s never too early to start thinking about avionics - and planning the rest of your kit for that matter. I understand holding off on buying avionics until later, and I’m not advocating buying the avionics now. But, installing the servo mounts afterwards is more difficult (especially if you’re a larger person as I am), rather than installing it while you have it all open; figuring out which servo you want is the start.

So, if you’ve already decided what platform you’re going to use, buying and installing the mounts now makes sense.

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm not sure about avionic yet, probably the G3X Touch or Skyview HDX. Leaning more towards the SkyView HDX at the moment but seems I still have some time to figure that out :)

Jared

Back