What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

one piece removable anti-hang-up guide

dmn056

Well Known Member
Friend
I've been reading (and subscribing to) VAF for several years, and have found a lot of help as I've slowly worked on my RV-8. However, I've finally reached a point where I need to ask a question.

I'm making anti-hang-up guides for the flop tube fuel pickup. The Van's drawing shows a single strip permanently fixed across the tank access plate. I wanted something that would not block the access hole if I ever needed to open the tank. Several VAF threads show two-piece anti-hang-up guides which achieve this, but I wanted something a bit simpler.

I've made up a one-piece guide which will be riveted to the tank access plate, and reach almost to the top and bottom skins, as shown below.
AF1QipMWmqLhTbeu-EkyeKR1H0ZmijDCIcjkjdL8kpt_

The guide is asymmetric, so if the plate is rotated 90 deg it can be moved forward and the entire plate and guide assembly can be removed from the tank.
AF1QipMoqWgzvN5llJ6lwbHHPZGKPYLGNw-ejMfsrllI

I've played around with it a bit, and it all seems to work ok for me. Has anyone else tried something similar before, and does anyone see any problems with this design?

Thanks for your help

Back