What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

bell crank to aileron pushrod

I'm working on the bellcrank to aileron pushrods (page 23-04). The threaded rod ends do not go into the pushrod end. Is it best to take the rod ends to a debur wheel and reduce the diameter a smidge or take drill bit to enlarge the pushrod end a small amount.

aren't both those parts steel? or just the powder coated pushrod? I don't remember having this problem, maybe the powder coating is causing some interference right at the end of the pushrod or maybe some roughness or deformation from cutting the pushrod stock......if necessary, I'd carefully reduce the diameter of the rod ends and not compromise the strength of the pushrod. IF i remember correctly, the rod ends have thicker walls than the pushrod. the fit should be snug before riveting (and after priming)

Last edited:
Had same problem with mine:

I'm working on the bellcrank to aileron pushrods (page 23-04). The threaded rod ends do not go into the pushrod end. Is it best to take the rod ends to a debur wheel and reduce the diameter a smidge or take drill bit to enlarge the pushrod end a small amount.

I was lucky enough to have access to a lathe. I put the threaded end of the fitting into a collet and took off a couple thousandths at a time until I got a good fit in the steel tube. You're basically removing the plating. I was careful to get the now exposed bare steel coated with Akzo primer when inserted into the pushrod.

Just completing an "entry into service" for an RV9A that our club has acquired and we found the aileron pushrods rusting with worn rivet heads from hitting the rear spar. Scary.

Purchased new pushrod material and threaded rod ends only to be confronted with the same fitment problem you have. Lots of threads on that here.

We had the threaded rod ends reduced ever so slightly and welded into the new pushrods per the applicable RV9A drawing. Very happy with the end result.

Push rods

Sorry for my first post that was totally wrong. Was thinking of another thing so I deleted it.
The threaded ends of the aileron push rods are tight. I used a round file to slightly bevel the inside square corners and I might have used a dremel sanding drum to slightly sand the inside of the tube. Or slight sanding of fitting end.

Checking to see how they fit? Once you get them started a plastic hammer will drive them into the tube.

After you might have primed the inside of the tubes. Any primer at end will make fitting hard.

I had to lightly sand mine. When I get bare metal where priming is impractical I put some Boelube T9 on it when assembling. Found at most good bike shops. Leaves a protective waxy film on the metal reducing corrosion.

I just took a dremel sander in the bore and smoothed it out untill the pushrod would slide in. Re-touch with primer, rivet it in....

I had the same issue. I chucked the threaded ends into a drill press and lightly touched with emery cloth. This leaves bare steel so a light coat of primer was added. If it's tight after priming, just wet sand lightly. Don't have a picture, but found a picture on Shawn's web site here:

DSCN6591.JPG

The process worked well for me.

Back