What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Notification 18-04-06

Jamesey

Well Known Member
New option with NACA cowl and Silent Hektik regulator. Interesting.
Not clear if you can buy only the NACA duct part only which would be interesting for me withy the Ducati regulator and no engine shroud. Could put the SH in later if the Ducati failed. Will ask the question to Vans.

F4118

What is the difference between the SH F4120 VR that Van's is now offering and the F4118 that everyone is installing?
Yes Jim, I installed a new Ducati last week and the voltage and amp numbers are just fine. So yes the Ducati went out at 4.7 tach hours!!!
Thanks John P., I have emailed Ian at MotoGuzzi.

What is the difference between the SH F4120 VR that Van's is now offering and the F4118 that everyone is installing?
http://www.silent-hektik.de/UL_R_912.htm

From their web page:
- over voltage shoutdown >15,4V 2%
- over temperature alarm >70°C 10%
- extra extended heatsink surface
- redundant minus connector to batterie

and about $95 (that is, $95 more than the F4118) at today's exchange rate.

Last edited:
Re 12 REGULATOR KIT
Not on Van’s parts site yet.
Anyone know if available yet, and cost?
John

Last edited:
For a voltage regulator???

Yup. My F4118 cost me over $300 by the time I paid shipping. Pricey, but supposed to be WAY better than the Ducati regulator, and I wasn't in the mood to roll the dice on the JD clone regulator solution again.

Dale

Do you D-180 EMS? If so, is charging current steady or fluctuates with this new VR?

D-180, yes. I don't remember watching the charge current. The regulator is pretty quiet, voltage is rock steady and I haven't had any trouble at all since installing it in Oct. or Nov. of 2016.

I will say that it takes a little longer than their claimed 27 minutes to reach full voltage... closer to 40 minutes in my case. I asked them via email if that could be changed and got a very curt "That's a custom request, send us 300 Euros and we'll do it for you" response. No real complaints though. I used to worry a little on days when I was making 5-6 short Young Eagles flights, but it hasn't been a problem at all.

Call order desk-$495

For a voltage regulator???

The price is for an install kit.
It includes a molded NACA vent (same as used on the 12iS)that installs on the upper cowl and directs air onto the regulator (firewall mounted directly behind the NACA vent), template for cutting the NACA opening, regulator, hardware and schematic drawing that also includes info for connecting the indicator output line to an EFIS system.

The 4120 regulator has a status indicator that will set an alarm if internal over temp, or an over voltage condition occurs.

Have planes had Under shelf regulator issues?

Have planes had under shelf install issues? If so after how many hours?

I have almost 500 hrs on my -12 with the inside under-the-shelf location and I'm on my 4th regulator, two Ducattis have failed and one John Deere. One of the Ducatti's might have been due to a loose connection on the regulator terminal. All always ran very hot. I've rigged a short blast tube from the upper half of the passenger air vent to the current regulator and it's staying warm but not hot. I read about that in an earlier post and avoided it because I thought it would be too hard but it turned out to be almost trivially easy. Only have about 30 hrs since I installed the blast tube so the jury's still out.

Tom,
mind sending a photo of your "blast tube"?

Here you go. No remarks about the mounting clamps please :) - this is a temporary install to see how it would work. Looks to be keeping the VR fairly cool so I'll get some permanent clamps.

The first picture is looking at the bottom of the tray from rear towards the front. The second is looking straight up from the bottom. The tube is about 7/8" diameter I got from Lowes. It's pretty hard to bend but, fortunately, the bend right off the roll was about perfect. There's still plenty of air for the passenger from the bottom half of the vent. Winter will be a problem up north but down here in Florida I rarely close the vents.

The yellow wire is a dedicated ground that goes through the firewall to the engine. I'd originally hoped that might help the heat problem but it seemed to have little effect. I'd also previously painted the VR with flat black to try to dissipate heat better but that had little, if any, effect.

i0GO4kVZ0agSGiuSYMGuS1RUBofreG-KJAvexaQZ6U7SeFq4K6rPnV2djyuhZvPJ1Mi_z4euDSL71BtXIeAWTPgGWowWTipY2oNuMJ6gOi8BLHJfAIJSNeE5qsXAOSFF5xQ5D9DRMVB1-CXLbLUTg1Anc4FxcRQeWUKOs71lGjYUPN9AvOAiMFn0H8mgwJ-LJyIgk6SZXDacT7Xy2AjBDmRlp_TCMCqs9bnw_mg4L_j11yqSyRPtjsLPU_eXCcMbs8GFJi8UGQsaeW6ex_05NuptcZe0W_7DEW2bsNMiNEiVJncDdPk1nGT8e6Lelcd7xKtWuAogl3ENLDVtTIFskoSbcr3DNOHOMhSNnWn3Wy0X8oDdzhF0DxVf4AK1jh9JEpxHIOhXHTgkgcFHWnYap5MCAVkU6TDXfI4ZQ3Q0dlt4wMaioO1wdxG_OYTbUmKpH8nn79y7M50JB_CnmXWT8edly4NzVa3kktPXHdWbGqARO3a_-M22O33LQz9r8VLWklhVeh4lE6I2KM_0Lf-_Kn3OrKp9fZ4GFwVGi4Q3EEUo5FIEdUw92voRjjGMfwfHPpJI69Aw-fZoobgDcTs_TXEnYA4XiQlNAFAPuAcFWdyScXZIttF60dJbEUpMFcxXAQGmCdJgldxIRQifY0b5FU2Tgg4=w920-h690-no

JfIP8-vRQTlSOgDgVyaGquOLODgMm2dKm6KGLhtWFQ0fhkTVKoBmJTOv1KkhuOLHlTADMWIWO6M7LE1SPiZKPjmBJUrvklw6ggDjfyWmyFhZq9wzvppnk_g01U4Jmns8NMp5nQYEnU7_7tjblW73KNyiB9IEflb98CstXDUJfU-GrTVl7hlir3iGxlf7UgMdmlwC3nfOgBdl5GMau_U_lku62m2vZQlLX0Drn6jJJzTXyc5CvI3olSwl1mKfeCri7brHnrrnxiUBWyg0g70aUsuk6Un8Rg3INW0aWnpe2TiD76MZ1JHQ6MGPQD8u7-Lhl8My2rMjWHpT6v8b9XeMA3CiMdFpJiTzShswUXJEf-6fbwYv489E7o7BgLLINKmlrR2OrWuTCRobDW0XwPOZb1MsqPv-qyRoOZAu8n9hebRKJJk-ieOskTbeFmMg7rrp_Qyyyz0H3Au80q29J1xzO6KlCiQsSD1YgPArQgUcCAKjek9BdQRccZ3IG2xIt7mHSijOFSUopjuBL1qf6E5YHHdpJT_PVvKLVHGykl-BtqFS_4f6kpbW_i5ArZe7O3Qs_va9OVgvBi_9fav_wbn4ySdHEooY2k_fOFUMy0HDlRQY9kYhxkgJQaADm9gxa9ohmdkTxm2KXT_dQNFDWqrT5FzGb08=w920-h690-no

The price is for an install kit.
It includes a molded NACA vent (same as used on the 12iS)that installs on the upper cowl and directs air onto the regulator (firewall mounted directly behind the NACA vent), template for cutting the NACA opening, regulator, hardware and schematic drawing that also includes info for connecting the indicator output line to an EFIS system.

The 4120 regulator has a status indicator that will set an alarm if internal over temp, or an over voltage condition occurs.

Has anyone installed this VR mod? Is this included in the new kits?

I'm not excited about that hole in the top of my cowling Not sure if even light rain may cause problems with water intrusion.

My original Ducatti VR failed at 104TT. I installed a John Deere AM101406 Voltage Regulator and now at 380TT with no problems. Cost $18 including shipping on eBay.

The JD AM101406 is mounted on the firewall shelf in original location with no blast tube. It is however mounted on a 1/8? thick sub-plate and has thermal paste to help transfer heat. I open the oil door to vent heat after each flight.

If/when this VR fails I will replace again with same unit. A spare is on the shelf in the hanger, so no downtime?

My original Ducatti VR failed at 104TT. I installed a John Deere AM101406 Voltage Regulator and now at 380TT with no problems. Cost $18 including shipping on eBay.

The JD AM101406 is mounted on the firewall shelf in original location with no blast tube. It is however mounted on a 1/8? thick sub-plate and has thermal paste to help transfer heat. I open the oil door to vent heat after each flight.

If/when this VR fails I will replace again with same unit. A spare is on the shelf in the hanger, so no downtime?

Jim, same connector?

I carry a spare volage regulator and a spare mechanical fuel pump in the plane so I don?t get stranded somewhere. I also carry a couple of spark plugs and some common AN hardware.

I carry a spare volage regulator and a spare mechanical fuel pump in the plane so I don?t get stranded somewhere. I also carry a couple of spark plugs and some common AN hardware.

RFSchaller - I looked at your VAF profile to see if you were a traveling salesman in a previous life... :D

Cooling regulator.

Biannual yesterday and saw ?12 volts and dropping, -3 amps????
Assume voltage regulator.
Is mounted in the cockpit.
1- Has anyone mounted a computer muffin fan with 4 standoffs/spacers blasting directly on the regulator! Ample cool air in the area from the vent. Simple solution?
2- What is a good replacement besides Ducati. John Deer ?.
Part number and vendor please.
Thanks.

Search eBay for AM101406" or "MIA881279" for John Deere $20 clone.
If you are in a hurry, NAPA 7068102 for $95.49, but it looks identical to $20 one.
Whatever you buy, mount it using heat conductive paste.

Joe,
I have read posts mentioning the heat conductive paste. Do you have more information about the paste? Brand, where to purchase, and it is applied to the mating surfaces? Thanks

Biannual yesterday and saw ?12 volts and dropping, -3 amps????
1- Has anyone mounted a computer muffin fan with 4 standoffs/spacers blasting directly on the regulator! Ample cool air in the area from the vent. Simple solution?

That was my first try. I couldn't figure out a decent fan mounting that created airflow ACROSS the fins and ended up with a mounting that blew air from the bottom UP into the fins. That didn't create very much of a cooling effect. The blast tube I ended up using creates a lengthwise flow across the fins that seems to be doing a pretty good job so far. The tube was way easier as well ...

Joe,
I have read posts mentioning the heat conductive paste. Do you have more information about the paste? Brand, where to purchase, and it is applied to the mating surfaces? Thanks
Why not just use a dab of the same paste used for your spark plugs? I don't know that you're really going to get a solid enough contact area between regulator and sheet metal other than in the immediate vicinity of the mounting bolts. When I tried the JD clone regulator, I fabbed a mounting adapter plate so I could use my existing bolt holes. I used a little heatsink paste between the regulator and the mounting plate, which was a chunk of 1/4" AL. I don't know whether it did any good or not.

Joe,
I have read posts mentioning the heat conductive paste. Do you have more information about the paste?
Brand, where to purchase, and it is applied to the mating surfaces? Thanks
The same paste used on spark plugs can be used. Search for heat or thermal conductive paste.
I found it on Amazon and Home Depot websites. Your local computer store has it for mounting CPUs.
Use the paste between the regulator aluminum case and mounting surface (airframe). Some brands contain
silver, but they are not much better than the cheap stuff.
A perfectionist might install a large 1/8" thick aluminum plate between the airframe and the regulator
with heat conductive paste between mating surfaces in addition to an air blast tube.

Anyone purchased the 18-04-06 kit?

I did pop for the EA-F4120 VR. Not the kit. Adding my own cooling under the instrument panel.

Not sure if it will have a schematic. Vans sales says the plans are not available and not shown in the kit????
Any on willing to share?
In going through the 18-04-06 and I count 8 wires called out. There are only 6 terminals on the VR. Here are the 8.
1 - Generator yellow
2 - Generator yellow
3 - P204 white (old P156)
4 - P205 white (old P156)
5 - P3069 yellow (pig tail from old P761, connected to P-205)
6 - P3067 2 ends where?
7 - P3068 (one end with battery ground ring terminal) Other end where?
8 - P3070 (Regulator Warning Wire) 2 ends where?

New VR

i have questions about the new VR installation. I have ordered it but I saw the "kit" today of another builder. i can't tell where the VR is supposed to be installed. I guess on the vertical fire wall but where. I think there was supposed to be a template for placement of the NACA duct, and a wiring diagram but there wasn't. How is this installation going to do in rain? Does any body have pictures of the install?

Mix and match?

So, I purchased the naca vent from Vans (about $90), thinking I would move my Ducati VR from the shelf to the newly recommended firewall position for the Silent Hektik. In talking with an ex-Synergy A&P, he told me the Silent Hektik comes with a mounting plate, which would be incompatible with the Ducati. My question: Have any following this thread installed the naca vent while leaving the Ducati VR in its original (shelf) position, AND experienced positive results from doing so? I?m now holding off on cutting the hole in the cowling until I eventually get the SH and mounting plate. However, part of my brain is saying ?more airflow, even to an inferior VR and location, is better than the Ducati on the shelf with minimal air flow.? Thanks.

I would like to add to make sure the connectors are tight, if not pinch them with pliers. Loose connectors will arch and burn, that's what mine did. I remounted the VR (Ducati) inside the cockpit, upper left side (pilots side). I added washers to hold it off the firewall about 1/8" for cooling circulation. After several flights in summer I used a laser thermometer to check temp. which ranged from 120F to 140F...I then replaced the 8 year old battery and so far going on 30 hrs no issues...I do carry a spare Ducati VR in my fly away kit. I mounted the VR in such a way that it was out of the way yet could be changed easily using 12 point head 1/4" bolts not the 6 point type.

Back