What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advanced Quick Panel Upgrade before OSH

N402RH

Well Known Member
We get a lot of calls and emails from people that want to upgrade the panel in their RV. The big questions are, "how long does it really take and how hard is it?" It's been a few years since I changed the panel in my RV-10 and we now have 10 days until it leaves for Oshkosh.

After flying the new Avidyne IFD540 in Van's new RV-14 and in a Glasair Sportsman, I really need one in my RV-10. AeroSport Products has a new carbon fiber RV-10 instrument panel that has room for three AF-5600T 10.4" EFIS screens and the new big-screen IFD540. Installing our new Advanced Control Module will make the wiring easy; at least that's what we tell people :cool:

The old RV-10 panel before upgrade:
18849423393_581fe39527_b.jpg

After flying home last night from the long 4th of July weekend in Sunriver, I proceeded to remove the old panel from the RV-10. I started around 8PM and by 10PM it looked like this:

19469017205_407ddc7d62_b.jpg

What is changing with the new panel upgrade over the next 10 days:

1. New Aerosport Carbon Fiber 3 screen panel
  2. Replacing the Garmin SL30 with an Avidyne IFD540 GPS Navigator
  3. Replacing the AF-5500T EFIS with a AF-5600T EFIS
  4. Removing the Vertical Power module and adding the Advanced Control Module
  5. Replacing all the old component wiring with AFS plug-and-play harnesses
  6. Wiring trim servos to AF-AP Control module for autotrim and speed control.
  7. Rewire the flap motor to use the Advanced Control Module
  8. Remote mounting the PS Engineering PAC15 audio panel
  9. Adding USB charging port
  10. New Aerosport center console and throttle quadrant
  11. Remote mount fuel selector valve.
  12. Add second ADAHRS
  13. New Aerosport seats, carpet and side panels

Day 1 - Panel Upgrade Hour Meter : 2.0

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

From a man that knows what a job this is: WOW! :p

The Advanced Control Module with built in ARINC and Skyview network hub make wiring the aircraft and avionics a lot easier. I managed to work on the RV-10 panel upgrade for 4 hours after work tonight and made some good progress. I will post some pictures when I get to work in the morning.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

1. Removed the VPX and Dynon SV Network hub from the sub panel, both of these items are in the Advanced Control Module.
19491621882_28c8fe80da_b.jpg

2. Removed all of the wiring from the EFIS screens, GTN-650, VPX, SL30 and ARINC converter. All of this wiring gets replaced with the Advanced plug and play harness assemblies.

3. Installed the Aerosport metal sub panel

4. Test fit the new Aerosport carbon fiber panel and center console.
19310272038_77baf178f0_b.jpg

Day 2 - Panel Upgrade Hour Meter : 6.0

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
Looks fantastic!

One tip: If you remove the "T" handle off of the throttle, it's way easier to take the center console on and off as you're finalizing the quadrant fit!

1. Removed the VPX and Dynon SV Network hub from the sub panel, both of these items are in the Advanced Control Module.

Does the removal of VPX mean the AFS Control Module will have electronic CBs in the future? :)

Center console

Can you tell me what the circular recess is for (pax side) on the console below the throttle quadrant (looks like bolt sticking out)?

Will this new center console/quadrant be showing up on Aerosport's web site soon? I can't see it there.

Can you tell me what the circular recess is for (pax side) on the console below the throttle quadrant (looks like bolt sticking out)?

It is the tension adjustment for the throttle quadrant, there is a small black lever that mounts on the bolt.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Will this new center console/quadrant be showing up on Aerosport's web site soon? I can't see it there.

Yes this new RV310 panel, Quad center armrest and throttle quadrant will be available soon. We are finishing up installation procedures. We will start shipping these after Oshkosh. Contact us for more information and pricing. This new RV310 panel will hold 3 10" screens. There will also be a vernier option for those people not wanting a quadrant.

http://aerosportproducts.com

Geoff

Rob, any reason for not installing the "big one" AF-5800 12.1" screens? I love the bigger screens like the AF-5800 and the Garmin Perspective! I think AFS and Garmin are probably the only ones with screens that big.

Last edited:
Yes this new RV310 panel, Quad center armrest and throttle quadrant will be available soon. We are finishing up installation procedures. We will start shipping these after Oshkosh. Contact us for more information and pricing. This new RV310 panel will hold 3 10" screens. There will also be a vernier option for those people not wanting a quadrant.

http://aerosportproducts.com

Geoff

Geoff,

Thanks for the info. Just started building a '10 a few months ago, and still have a long way to go before interior work is on the menu, but I still like to daydream!

Dave

Rob, any reason for not installing the "big one" AF-5800 12.1" screens? I love the bigger screens like the AF-5800 and the Garmin Perspective! I think AFS and Garmin are probably the only ones with screens that big.

AF-5800 12" EFIS screens will not fit in the panel.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Looks like I will not need that C-172

It's been 3 days since I started the panel upgrade in the RV-10 and it's proving to be far easier than I even imagined. This is the 4th instrument panel upgrade that I've done in the RV-10 and the Advanced Control Module (ACM) and pre-manufactured harnesses have made this installation so easy.

Last night, in a few hours of work, I managed to install the ACM module, wire power and ground to it and bolt the new instrument panel in for the final time. The new Aerosport instrument panel fit perfectly and all the holes lined up just right.
19353138008_f763eaea01_b.jpg

New panel installed and ready to start the wiring.
18918555914_f74863a79f_b.jpg

It took about an hour to wire the Aerosport switches to the ACM module. If I had used our Advanced Switch Modules it would have only taken a few minutes to plug the switch PCB board ribbon cable into the ACM. It then took less than 15 minutes to wire (plug in the harnesses) the 3 EFIS screens, 2 ADAHRS, Mode S Transponder, ADS-B receiver , AP Control module and the Avidyne IFD-540 NAV/COM/GPS.

I then installed the fuses in the ACM and flipped the Master and Avionics Switches.
19545330301_2ba500b82e_b.jpg

It was even getting traffic in the hangar.
19534353002_c06abd54ee_b.jpg

There is still a lot of work to do before Oshkosh. I need to wire the trim servos, starter, alternator, GTN650, control sticks, strobe lights, nav lights and AP servos to the ACM module. I also need to remote mount the PS Engineering PAC15 audio panel. Did I mention that Portland has been experiencing a record breaking heat-wave the last few weeks? Perfect timing.

End of Day 3 - Panel Upgrade Hour Meter : 12.0

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
The "ACM"

Rob,

Please let me quote your words.....

"This is the 4th instrument panel upgrade that I've done in the RV-10 and the Advanced Control Module (ACM) and pre-manufactured harnesses have made this installation so easy."

Could you pease offer the ACM and pre-manufactured harnesses as stand alone parts for sale. As a Dynon Dealer, I have a few customers who would love to use it in their install.

FWIW, it would surely make my life easier. LOL

Thanks.

Brian

Harnesses

Rob,

Are you custom-making harnesses for "the trim servos, starter, alternator, GTN650, control sticks, strobe lights, nav lights and AP servos to the ACM module. I also need to remote mount the PS Engineering PAC15 audio panel?"

I'm projecting 8 elapsed days, 40 hours, much sweating, and a wee bit of swearing! So far, 3 elapsed days & 12 hours; hint at sweating & no report on swearing!!

Panel upgrade day 9 and the RV-10 is almost ready for Oshkosh. New Aerosport carbon fiber panel with Avidyne IFD540 and 3 AF-5600 touch screens, new electrical system using Advanced Control Module, new Aerosport interior (side panels, seats, center console, throttle quadrant, carpet), new fuel valve, all new engine cables, Ipad charger, new autopilot servo wiring to the tail and new Tosten grips. The new panel and interior looks spectacular and we are looking forward to showing it at Oshkosh. I should be flying it today.

The PS Engineering remote audio panel is mounted behind the center screen.
19532490620_cf4d9d4bd8_h.jpg

Wiring complete and new seats installed.
19097209024_ef63b3622f_h.jpg

New center console
19098885193_8debf61502_h.jpg

New Aerosport rear seats and side panels.
19533167709_8df33a6213_h.jpg

New GPS Antenna for the IFD540
19696268536_ff80ffa0b8_b.jpg

Day 9 - Panel Upgrade Hour Meter (Including Interior) : 56 Hours

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems

You are gonna love the Tosten grips.

I rotated mine to allow a neutral wrist position for my left hand-------so very little right handed use, that having the grip straight "forward" just was not needed.

I find it to be a lot more comfortable that way.

because i have this issue in my plane, i'm curious how you'll address it- or if you've already

what do you do about the internal glare from the screens on the front windscreen at night? even at their lowest setting, i have trouble with the glare on mine, and i've considered lengthening the glare shield (which seems to mostly work for the sun anyways) somehow, but i noticed you don't seem to have much of one there? or maybe it's hard to see

Glareshield overhang

Brian, I have the standard panel overhang, probably 2-3 inches, enough for a led strip light, and I get no glare in the windscreen. There is some reflection in the doors, but not the front window.

Vic

I managed to make four flights with the new panel yesterday and it is all working great. I flew two different GPS approaches with both the IFD540 and the GTN650.

19560164150_0cce30ac37_b.jpg

You can see the RV-10 with the new panel at the new Dynon/AFS Builder Central area, on the lawn next to Building D. There will be several planes all built by Dynon and AFS employees, plus a workshop tent.

We will also have AF-5000 EFIS screens in a number of booths at Oshkosh:

Avidyne Outdoor Booth RV-10 with dual AF-5400 EFIS screens

Van's Aircraft RV-14 with the Advanced Quick Panel and two AF-5600 screens

Glasair Multiple Sportsman with AF-5600 screens

TruTrak RV-14 Advanced Quick Panel with two AF-5600 EFIS screens and the new Gemini AP

TCW AF-5500 Touch screen EFIS

CO Guardian AF-5600 EFIS

Pacific Coast Avionics

Searey

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems

Last edited:
Panel

Beautiful job Rob, it looks great. But I loved Jenny's comment, sounds like my wife. They really know how to show they appreciate all our hard work. Have a safe trip to OSH this year and thanks for all your help during our panel upgrade, AFS from you and Jenny all the way down the chain went over and above what we could have hoped for customer service, and we love the new 5600T.

We left Friday morning at about 9 am in the RV-10 for Oshkosh, 13 days after starting the panel upgrade. The new panel worked awesome without any problems. Our first stop was KDIJ Driggs Idaho, really nice stop with a great restaurant in the FBO. After eating lunch and getting fuel it was off to KRAP Rapid City South Dakota for the night.
The next morning we flew nonstop to Oshkosh. On downwind to runway 27 they told us to follow the Oracle One red biplane and land on the green dot behind him, it was easy to spot as it had the smoke on.

Lots of lightning on the XM Weather on our way into Rapid City
19819024502_fa3b207a14_b.jpg

Departing Rapid City with the Dynon Sportsman
19826395655_685e693e89_b.jpg

We had really good tail winds all the way from Rapid City to Oshkosh and flew over 3 hours at over 200kts. The new Yaw Damper we are testing made for a really smooth ride.
19831238261_7e8edb8838_b.jpg

Parked in the Dynon/AFS booth at building D
19837083982_9e8b4800fb_b.jpg

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems

Rob quick question

Hey Rob,

I havery been waiting for the new panel for a while now. Now that you have some hours behind the panel my question is. It looks like there is not much room between your knees for the stick to move right or left. It looks to me that the center lower console could be narrowed to allow another inch of roll on the stick. After flying it do you fill you have enough athourity with the limited room? I could see if a guy went with the push pull cables he would have a lot more room. Do you have enough? Is the new style the same space or wider then the old?

Thanks and I hope this all makes sense.

There is plenty of room for the stick, if anything it has more room then the old center console.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems

Thanks Rob,

Had a friend call me this morning while setting in your plane. Said it was very nice. Wish I was there instead of flying around Alaska in a super cub right now.
Love your panel. Great job

Back