What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Angle Valve Rocker Arm Shaft (whew)

AN23

Well Known Member
Replaced a pushrod tube yesterday after new seals failed to stop leak. We discovered that the pushrod shroud (tube) was out-of-round on the end that inserts into the crankcase side. I dreaded the struggle to get the rocker arm shaft reinstalled as it requires a little pressure on the rocker arm while jiggling the rocker arm shaft while trying to keep everything in alignment. Yes, I did have both valves relaxed, the tappets bled down and the moon in the seventh house but, as always, I just needed about a thousandth more clearance to slide the shaft through. After trying everything for a couple of hours last evening, I quit and went home. I called an old sage IA on the way home to ask if he could come lend a hand this morning. He told me that it was an easy one man job! He then told me his trick.

Go to Lowes and by a $7, 3 ft. Length of 1x1 angle iron

Drill a 1/4 inch hole, about one inch from the end.

Place the angle up to the cylinder head and put one of the botton valve cover
screws through the hole and just snug it up. The angle will now swing out of the way and allow you to position the rocker arm and spacer.

Next, swing the angle over and onto the rocker arm and apply just a litlle pressure on the angle with one hand while pushing on the shaft with the other. Jiggle, jiggle.

Bamm! It slid right in!!!!!!

Took longer to drill the hole than to put the rocker arm shaft back in. As you can see, the angle is too long as I didn't cut it but after seeing this today, we cut it and now a buddy has a tool also.

Ok, now I'm waiting for all of the experts to tell me every reason this is foolish, dangerous, too expensive, against FAA regulations and the real reason Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself.

a>

Last edited:
This is not required if the lifters are bled all the way down. If I remember correctly the clearance should be 0.028-0.080".

Last edited:
Back