What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 tall pilot kit

AN23

Well Known Member
Ok, we've owned three RVs, an 8 that fit us perfectly, a 7 that had plenty of room, and now, a "new to us" 8 that makes both my son and I feel like we are right up on the panel and our knees hit the bottom of it. It's apparent that the original builder must have been smaller in stature as the seat cushions are really thick. I had to remove the bottom one and use a thin one just to clear the canopy. Leg room is not an issue as it has the adjustable rudder pedals. I can only assume that the first 8 we owned incorporated some mods (seat back bottom hinge moved back, tall pilot option) and I'd like to do the same for our new one. I can find the kit on Van's store but there's no price. Anyone done this mod on a completed airplane? Cost and time?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Only change I know is the steel tube cross member behind the pilots seat is bent differently so the seat top goes back about another inch or so. Should be easy to change by unbolting the existing one and putting in the new one. Seat back may have to be extended a bit so it still rest against the top tube.

I have a new RV8 tall pilot weldment that I got with my kit and never installed it. Vans part # WD-823-PC. Vans wants $299 for it. $100 and it's yours.

I had a QuickBuild kit come with the standard seat and changed it out with the tall option...a little bit of a pain (fat fingers), but certainly doable in an hour or two. The only thing is what was mentioned earlier...if you change it out, the front seat may not be tall enough if built per the plans. It's easily made taller in order to work, or build a new one (easy) or move the mounting hinges aft.

All very doable

Give yourself options

Don't move the stock seat back hinge from its current position. Simply add a second seat back hinge 1.5 in further back. With the tall pilot seat back weldment installed, the standard seat back will be too short when mounted to the standard seat back hinge. However when mounted to seat back hinge 1.5 in further back, it will be long enough. That' said, I made a second seat back approximately 4 in taller than the one supplied by vans. I found it to be a bit too tall and ended up cutting it down to be 2 in longer than standard. With two different lengths seatbacks and two different seat back hinge positions you give yourself more options. Send me a PM with your email address if you'd like to see photos.

Charlie

Back