What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY Canopy Cover?

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
After reading the thread on canopy covers, and the protection they afford, is there a good DIY version available? Something that would not cost $400 and up, like my friend paid for his?

Our plane is hangared all the time, but will be tied down on the ramp during those long x-country trips we will make several times a year.

eMVfbR

Above is the photo downloaded off Shutterfly. Note the lack of success.

Last edited:
Flightline Interiors

I just bought one for my 7 from Flightline Interiors for half that cost. I figured that by the time I sourced the material, made a pattern, and found someone to sew it, I'd be way ahead by just buying it. Abby makes a great product!

I just bought one for my 7 from Flightline Interiors for half that cost. I figured that by the time I sourced the material, made a pattern, and found someone to sew it, I'd be way ahead by just buying it. Abby makes a great product!

Second that. The cover is lightweight and easy to fold up and store.

None that I know of. I made my own heavy weight cover for the 6, as it was outside for a few months until I got my hanger. It is doable, but it takes a while to produce the patterns with scrim. Mine fits like a glove with no movement in wind and had a nice microfiber interior.

Larry

None that I know of. I made my own heavy weight cover for the 6, as it was outside for a few months until I got my hanger. It is doable, but it takes a while to produce the patterns with scrim. Mine fits like a glove with no movement in wind and had a nice microfiber interior.

Larry

Thanks for the info. We have found two companies so far that will "custom make" one for us. They would need a pattern to start. It was requested that we mail them a current cover, so they could copy it. The cost would approach $300.

Two calls made this morning to Flightline Interiors. No one home. Message left on the answering machine. No response yet.

I think the light weight covers from Van's are perfectly acceptable for parking a plane on the ramp for a few days. Its keeps the rain and sun out, which is exactly what it's for. They also dont weight much or take up much space.

Walmart car cover about 30-40 bucks. Lay it over your canopy and trim, hem, pleat as required. A few eyelets. Your choice of straps (rope). Material breathe and is water resistant, and very lightweight.

Walmart car cover about 30-40 bucks. Lay it over your canopy and trim, hem, pleat as required. A few eyelets. Your choice of straps (rope). Material breathe and is water resistant, and very lightweight.

Now here is an idea that I (and my wife) can relate to.

Back