What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Improving Access to Tire Inflation Valves

msaltzman14

Hey All-

After an unexpected flat tire, my A&P suggested I increase the frequency of checking my tire pressure, as the tubes we're using seem to be underperforming in terms of holding air.

But what a pain in the *** it is to check the pressure! With the little holes in my wheel pants, it's a two man job to perfectly align each wheel with the nozzle, use needle-nose pliers to take the cap off, then attach a stem extender etc.

Has anyone solves this? Are people just making much larger holes in the pant to access the valve? Any issues with structural rigidity when you increase the diameter of the hole?

Tips appreciated!

Mike

Tips

1. Put a stripe on the sidewall of the tire when the wheel is in the correct position to access the valve stem. This allows one person to position the wheel correctly.

2. Leave the valve stem caps off, put on hex head caps that can be removed or replaced with a nut driver, or buy a valve cap removal tool such as https://www.amazon.com/Ken-Tool-KEN29999-Remover-Installer-ValvecapperPRO/dp/B00X19P96W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542566854&sr=8-3&keywords=valve+stem+cap+remover

3. Make sure your current valve cores aren't leaking.

4. Next time it's convenient, replace the tubes with Airstop Tubes.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

One thing that might help is to mark a dot on the sidewall with white enamel from an auto touch up bottle, or wife nail polish. After alignment of course, dead center, above tire flex. Second, I leave the cap off. I shoot an air blast into the stem prior to servicing to remove any possible dirt. Third, I use a 10? trucker?s semi-ridged service air nozzle with a guage. I?m now able to ?feel? the nozzle mount the valve stem thru the nozzle hose. :eek:
Exactly...

Service every 3 months, no issues so far after 18 months operating off of grass.

H

I never use valve caps, I've been based on a grass strip since 1993, and rarely if ever find dirt in the valve stems. I mark the tires with nail polish, as others mentioned.
This:
https://www.harborfreight.com/pistol-grip-tire-inflator-with-gauge-68270.html

is a bit much for carrying in the plane, but for hangar use, works great after a little bandsaw/die grinder work. If you cut off the lock lever & its pivot point, the straight inflator works great through a small hole in the pants. The gauge on my decade old version is off by about 10 lbs, but the new one I just purchased seems to be dead-on (at least it matches the readout on the car's automated system).

Charlie

Last edited:
I just stick my finger in to locate the valve stem and then move the plane forward or back as required to make the valve stem accessible. Can do it by myself fairly quickly. Finger gets real dirty, though.

A couple of thoughts (Many captured above)

1) It takes only a couple of minutes to take off the forward half of the wheel pant - I don;t use hard-to-line-up holes.
2) I only have to check pressure a =couple of times a year using the MIchelin AirStop tubes, which are far superior to the Leak Guard or other brands. I can’t explain Michelin’s magic...but they work!
3) Valve caps are not cosmetic, or to keep out dirt - they are there to keep air IN if the valve itself has a tiny leak. Airplanes are different from cars, and the cap gives a level of redundancy to the valve. Use the valve caps - that is part of the design!

Paul

Silver Sharpie

Used a silver sharpie to mark the tire. Now just roll until the silver shows up on the bottom, in line with the hole.

Using a 2" socket extension-3/8" socket on the "Hex" valve cap is easy to remove and install.

6' valve extension screwed onto tire valve, then it is quick to use bicycle pump to add more air.

Total time per tire is around 5-minutes. Not any fun this time of year though....

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Mine only seem to need air two or three times a year. I want to inspect the brakes (and dry lube the slide pins) that often anyway, so I pull the pants.

Thanks team-

I'm certainly going to sharpie the right spot on the wheel. Also will switch to Airstop at the next changeover.

Thank you!!

I used a paint pen to make the inside of each tire (RV7) with a "T" like shape -- I draw a line across the tire at the bottom of the wheel pants with a short perpendicular line centered on the horizontal line. The short line lets me quickly position the plane when pushing/pulling at the prop, then the horizontal line permits fine tuning the tire position. I then remove the value stem cap as described above and then screw on a 6" flexible value stem extender.

This is what I did:

30mtkkn.jpg

2nizfrk.jpg

2hmzlgy.jpg

From the Garmin website:

Easily Monitor Tire Pressure
Our Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor (TPMS) enables you to monitor your motorcycle?s tire pressure easily and conveniently, as you ride. The system works with up to 4 tires in any configuration (not intended for automotive use). One TPMS sensor is required for each tire (sold separately; metal valve stems only).

Cleveland tool has a neat set to access tire valves.

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Valve-Stem-Extension-_-Cap-Remover-Set/productinfo/VSSETW/#.W_MYphpMFvI

Drilled holes in the wheel pants that get covered with a snap in metal cap from your local Lowe?s aviation aisle, something like this (different sizes available):

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-0-375-in-Chrome-Plated-Steel-Hole-Plug/3013212

Mark the tires with a silver sharpie; when the mark is visible and perpendicular to the ground you?re ready to access each cap.

I use a quarter inch long extension with a socket handle to go thru the hole in the wheel pant to unscrew the air cap.

then I use Cleaveland Valve Stem Inflation tool to inflate the tire. It has a built in guage and about a 6 inch inflation stem. all in one tool.

Put the air cap back on and snap in the metal cover and were done in about 10 minutes total for both tires.

I have seen two RV7's with little Cessna access doors... both were done very well.

Jack

Back