What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior IO-360 horizontal draft and fuel servo

chris mitchell

Well Known Member
I'm now staring at the fuel servo and trying to determine how to install it on my Superior IO-360 which has the new style aluminum front induction sump. (Technically its an IO-360 B1AC2 engine). The fuel servo is the Precision Airmotive Silver Hawk EX-5VA1, part number 3015006-1. The (rather limited) instructions say, helpfully, that it can be installed in any orientation. So which way does it go? SFAICS, if I put the throttle on the right and move the control arm round then I avoid any interference with the sump and the throttle arm will be in the correct orientation for the cable and quadrant; the mixture will also be in the appropriate orientation (i.e. ICO at the rear). The secret seems to be repositioning the throttle arm??? I will also need to reorient the fuel outlet so it points right towards the pipe that runs up to the injection spider. Am I right? Also, the studs that hold the servo to the engine have quite a long unthreaded portion so to get the nuts up tight I will have to use to "ordinary" thin gaskets and also the supplied thick (1/4"??) spacer/gasket? Is that also correct? Finally I will have to make a bracket for the throttle and mixture controls - but that I already know about.

Yi, yi, yi. Rebuilding an engine for a Porsche 911 was easy by comparison with this!! Once I'm finished and happy with it all I will post a bunch of photos for those poor souls that have yet to follow!

Thanks,

Chris

Hey Chris, put me on your list for the photos. I am on the edge of deciding to build or buy a Superior engine.

Chris,
I rotated the servo so the mixture was on top and the throttle was on the bottom. Precision swapped the joggled throttle arm with a straight one for me. I made two cable brackets. The throttle cable comes around the right side of the engine and the cable bracket mounts on the boss on the sump, and the mixture comes around the left with a bracket utilizing 2 sump bolts. This arrangement requires no bellcrank and both cables allow full travel in both directions. Here are pictures of the preliminary fitting of the brackets. I later made them from 050 4130 steel. I used a 45 degree connection on the #4 line from the servo to the spider, and installed a 90 degree fitting in place of the existing fuel inlet. This 90 degree fitting required some machining to allow clearance for the pop filter screen. The airbox IMO really isn't designed very well. I had to cut reliefs in it for the alternator bracket and the starter. In order to fit the air box I omitted the 1/4" gasket to save some space and cowl cutting. I'll install new studs or use spacers over the unthreaded portion. With the cold induction I don't see the spacer being required and believe it would serve a purpose in a vertical installation for height adjustment over a carb. Hope this answers some of your questions.

Rocky

Fitting Vans mixture bracket to Superior IO360 sump

Rocky, now that I've studied the situation a lot more your solution is looking elegant and relatively simple - I may yet copy it.

At the moment I have the servo mounted so that the mixture is on the left and throttle on the right. I have installed shorter studs and used only a single gasket. I've been studying the fit of the Vans mixture bracket. I have the new aluminum sump, horizontal draft. The sump has a plug/insert right where the bracket needs to go. The photos show the plug and also the amount of metal I'd need to remove from the bracket to get it to fit. Has anyone else met this problem - perhaps when substituting the new sump for the old composite one? It looks like a lot of metal to remove tome and I think the choices are either to make a new one or else to weld some reinforcement in place.

I've resigned myself to making a new throttle bracket - the only question in my mind is how many goes will it take me!!

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks for any help,

Chris

RV8QB
Tail and wings complete
Working on engine installation

Modified mixture bracket

As promised, here are some shots of the Vans mixture bracket modified to fit the Superior aluminum sump, which has the very inconveniently located drain plug. Top view shows the amount of metal removed. To beef it up we welded some new metal along the front edge. The final shot shows the bracket in place. We get the full range of movement from ICO to fully rich without any major problems. I haven't installed the control cable yet - maybe tomorrow night.

I hope this will be helpful to someone. I'll add some photos for the new throttle cable bracket when we get it finished. We decided that its impossible to modify the Vans one adequately.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Chris

Superior IO-360 Horizontal Throttle Cable

I've seen a lot of great ideas and have made my own bracket for both the throttle and mixture on my Superior IO 360 Horizontal Induction Engine. The FF brackets are not adequate. The question I have is with the addition of fire sleeve and a metal heat shield between. I've not added these at this time. Do I have enough clearance above the Vetterman exhaust pipes for the cable? I have about the thickness of the cable of air between the two as indicated by the red arrows in the pictures. I'm all the way up against the engine so don't know how this can get much better. Appreciate any thoughts on this based on others experience with how much clearance is enough to prevent burning the cable.
ehywsn.jpg

I've got slightly more spacing on mine, installed a heat shield but no firesleeve.

Back