What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ice cream in between spar webs and caps

My RH spar was lying on my work bench rear side up and an ice cream was accidentally placed on it which of course melted. I now have ice cream in-between the spar webs and caps ..... probably an area of about a foot and a half long
What are my options cleaning drying and corrosion proofing between the webs and caps ?

I'm more concerned about moisture remaining in between the webs after I wash it out particularly where there are rivets, and I'm sure there is salt added to ice cream.

Chocolate :)

Last edited:
I'm more concerned about moisture remaining in between the webs after I wash it out particularly where there are rivets, and I'm sure there is salt added to ice cream.
Chocolate :)

Clean it and dry it the best you can and build on. Blow out as much moisture as you can with air pressure. The airplane is not water proof. The spars will get wet sometime when flying.

Blow dry with shop air. I don't think there is much salt in Ice Cream. Though the sugar is nearly as corrosive. The spar in anodized and will resist corrosion pretty well. I would flush it out, blow dry it and call it good. You could treat it with Corrosion X or LPS -3, but I think that would be unnecessary.

I'll give you my dog. She can get every last melted drop of ice cream and leave some golden alodine when she's done.;)

Lather, rinse, repeat!

Well

sooner or later somebody is going to tell you "sweet flying," now you can say that they don't know the half of it.

After washing it out, I would flood the area with WD-40, followed by Boeshield. The WD-40 disperses water and the Boeshield is great corrosion protection.

Roberta

Bernie
Clean up and build on, there is not much of a problem with corrosion here in Oz. pm me if you want to talk about it

cheers
Phil

Heres what I did after all your suggestions .... Soap and water then high pressure wash and dry with shop air a couple of times and then WD40

TKS

Does this need to be moved over to safety? I mean really, should we be consuming food products in the shop area? What if one mistakes proseal for chocolate syrup for your ice cream? This food (and beverage!) in the shop thing could be a real problem!

Back