What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deburring Tools for tight spaces

challinan

Just learned of Pan American Tool Corp while looking for a pneumatic cleco gun. @unitink72 provided a link to that company. They have some very cool looking stuff. http://www.panamericantool.com/

Question: What do others use to debur the tight spaces for example on the ribs for the horizontal stab (RV-14A). Each rib contains many flanges which each have small gaps which must be deburred. I'm looking for tools which will facilitate this deburring task.

Chris
--

Jewelers files, ignition point file and maroon scotchbrite pads cut into strips to put through the tab slots.

Scotchbrite Wheels

..the 1" and 2" diameter kind. I chuck them up and de-burr away. It's especially great for lightening holes. For those very, very tight/small nooks and crannies, I use a jeweler's file or other.

I've also used some emery cloth as recommended by others on the forum. However not entirely happy with the smoothness of edges after using it. I go back over everything extensively with Scotchbrite.

Tool

Do you have a right angle adapter? Easy to modify. run a 1/4"-28 die over the shaft and make it a right angle debur tool.
2432dcx.jpg

I recently found this dremel accessory. It is called a "detail abrasive brush" Not sure which grit mine is but there are only 3 I think.

Prior to that I found these doodads in a proper aviation aisle in Alaska. I think they are by 3m. Worked ok new, but actually better after divesting itself of all bristles!

Another time honoured and effective method is to clamp the rib to the work top then use strips of emery cloth like flossing teeth. Sorry, no pictures!

Back