What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another build sequence question

tomkk

Well Known Member
I know the build sequence has been beat to death. There are a ton of posts relating to it, most recommending putting off the tailcone attachment "as late as possible" to conserve workshop space.

My specific question is whether it's OK to do the full canopy install, fitting, etc. without the tailcone, turtledeck skins and rear window. Just don't know whether any of the geometry changes when all that's lashed together and carrying its own weight.

MY OPINION - -

I followed the instructions ( early builder ). If I was doing another, I'd wait on the tail being added on as others have found. You might have to trim the rear of the canopy later, but you will not know until you get the rear window in place. I would say it would work well. If you have to trim it some on the rear, you likely would have to either way. Getting the front to fit well is most important I feel.

Dittoes. I finished my canopy fitting, fiberglass, and all without the tailcone. If doing it again, I'd leave the turtle deck skins off also. Rear window and canopy will be easy to trim later if needed. Once the canopy is done, you'll likely remove it and leave it off while finishing other stuff, adding wires, mods, etc. The Fuselage is much easier to turn on it's side (without the tail attached) for working access unless you've built a rotisserie (which some have done).
2-cents,
Dave

Two related questions

My finishing kit just arrived and I'm just a couple of days from completing everything on the fuselage - except for the rear window and tailcone attach.

I would like to do the canopy while the weather is still warm, is there any reason not to do the canopy as 1st task of the finishing kit?

Also, for those of you that have placed the fuselage on it's side ... How stable is it? Do I need to put any type of support or guard in place to keep it from falling? That would make for a really bad day. :eek:

Fuse tipped on it's side

I used a couple 2" slabs of polyethylene foam to support the fuse, about 5" wide by 48" long. One was under the F-1202 Step Bulkhead and another under the F-1204 Bulkhead section. I used a third small chunk of the foam under the roll bar. The fuse assembly was extremely stable this way - no problem whatever.

Oh yeah, sorry for the drift. I elect to follow the much published good advice and wait until wiring and plumbing is installed before attaching the tailcone.

Last edited:
Also, for those of you that have placed the fuselage on it's side ... How stable is it? Do I need to put any type of support or guard in place to keep it from falling? That would make for a really bad day. :eek:

Mine has been fine on either side. However, I do feel better when I support it with something. Foam, seat cushions, etc work well. Falling over is not an option so I opt to be cautious.

Out here in the land of shakes, quakes, and flakes, I just ran a rope up to the ceiling to keep it from rolling over in the event of "The Biggie" hitting us. The fuselage is pretty stable when on its side.

I am committed to installing the Powerplant Kit before the Avionics Kit (waiting as long as I can to see what Dynon comes up with over the next few months). On the 3rd page of the Powerplant install I see a bunch of wires that come through the firewall that are in the Avionics kit. Will I be able to install all of the Avionics kit without removing all or part of the Rotax? Are there parts of the Avionics kit I should get in before I set the Rotax?

I did my canopy long ago, before the tailcone was attached. I did remove it for a while, but is is back on now for no really good reason other than protecting it from damage I guess.

Back