What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CAUTION: Caution what?

bajapilot

I've got about 3 hours on my 12 now with only a few minor squawks, but one of the problems that's eluding me is the box keeps yelling "caution" at me and I can't figure out why.

Here's the routine. Get myself seated and power up the Dynon, avionics and auto pilot and even before I start the engine she says "caution" repeating this about once a second. Nothing shows up in the message area so I have no clue what the caution is for.

Here's the strange part. As I begin my long taxi to the active runway she will decrease the frequency of the caution until once I reach the runway she maybe only says "caution" once every 3-5 seconds. I'll usually get a couple of "cautions" during the first 30 seconds of the departure while I'm airborne and then - she's gone!

Does this on every flight. Everything on the EMS is in the green. All systems functioning normally. What am I missing? Does she just want me to have a "cautious" day? Has she spoken with my doctor? My wife? Is she not telling me everything?

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, suggest posting on the Dynon forum where you are likely to get a response from one of their techs.

Eventually the hardwired chip implanted in our forehead will replace that system. That combined tracking and CAUTION upgrade will fix the problem so it won't quit Cautioning you while you are airborne.

:D

Carl

Skyview?

Don't know which "Dynon" you have. If it's a Skyview, check to see if your mapping data has been updated in the past 28 days.

Bill,

Did you ever solve your problem? I have about 70 hours on my RV-12, and my Dynon has recently started yelling "caution" at me at seemingly random intervals during flight. No further indication on the display of what the issue might be.

You can download the flight data to USB stick and it will also download the alert logs. You might see what it is there.

Hello Ken,

Yes I did solve the problem. I never was able to get the caution message because it would clear right away. Turned out to be the self checking feature on the auto pilot disconnect button. Went into and turned off this feature in the set up and never had another random caution alert in the follow 30 hours. The disconnect button worked fine before and after.

Bill

Yes I did solve the problem. I never was able to get the caution message because it would clear right away. Turned out to be the self checking feature on the auto pilot disconnect button. Went into and turned off this feature in the set up and never had another random caution alert in the follow 30 hours. The disconnect button worked fine before and after.
My Dynon D-180 gave the same false alarms. I also disabled that feature.
Joe Gores

Is there a Dynon "premium" option to have her do live announcements in the cockpit? If so, sign me up!
:)

Back