What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B change mod

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
Installing the dynon ads b box during the condition insp. looking at relocating the black box to the rear bulkhead, lower side on the tailcone side as a few other have done. To do this, a new harness is needed for the extended run to the avionics bay. Is there any reason why splicing the vans provided harness with longer wires is a bad idea? If done correctly and labeled properly I don't see a negative side. Beats ordering from stein if I already have enough wire to do it.

Opinions?

Short answer. Yes. If you have enough shielded inner conductor wire.

Reality. Probably not :).

I made my own harness to run from the AV50000 black box back to the aft bulkhead where I mounted the ADSB unit. The wire runs along and under the left longeron. I used unshielded wires leftover from ripping out an older wire bundle when converting the wiring from D180 to SV during the build. The harness consists of 4 wires that I tried to slightly braid together to give it more rigidity. The connection works fine, never had any issues with it, so I don't think that splicing and extending the shorter harness would cause any problems for you.

That is interesting. We were in the process to extended all the wires then noticed the two larger wires were shielded with a small inner conductor. Decided that those two wires would be to hard to splice, plus did not have any of that type of shielded wire on hand.

I am close to installing avionics. I am curious why you guys are moving the box?

For those of us who are adding the ADSB as a retrofit, it's easier to mount the box behind the bulkhead and run the Dynon network wires down the longeron than it is to open up the center channel and cram a big coax antenna wire in that already crowded space.

If you're doing it as part of the original build, no reason I know of not to follow Van's plans.

Ditto to the above statement. To get that coax thru the tunnel is doable, but a pain. I am going under the longeron with flex wire conduit then wire wrap which will be covered by the interior. I'll post some pictures upon my return from KLAS and hopefully win some $$$$ to add an RV-10 to the fleet! ;)

Back