What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel flow return GRT EIS

pt17

I have installed a GRT EIS 4000 with fuel flow option. I have also installed a second red cube flow meter in the return line to make use of the EIS return fuel flow function. My problem is that no matter what value I enter in "FlocalR", I can not reduce the fuel flow to zero. (engine off with fuel pump on, still shows the rate of flow returning to the tank, and I should be able to get it to say zero) I have tested both flow meters and they work correctly.
Anyone have experience with GRT EIS 4000 and flow return function?

I had the same problems several years ago. Turned out to be a EIS SW problem. In my case I had SW version 44v65akff and they upgraded to 44v67akff. I was told most EIS do not have the return flow SW since its not too common, hence the need to upgrade. Talk to GRT and have your SW version and unit SN available.

Jim Butcher
Europa XS, Rotax 914

Thanks for the info. I rang contacted GRT and they told me that not only do I need to return the unit, but also the cost will be $375. That's another $375 on top of the 375 I already paid to get the "so called fuel flow option". Contrary to any information they provide on their website, order forms or even in the EIS manual, to get Fuel Flow, and fuel flow return, you will be slugged $750! Needless to say I am not impressed with GRT.

The FF return measured is so insignificant why bother? Calibrate the EIS for the fuel used and it will be "right on" every flight. (Plus GRT is a class act all the way -- everyone knows that)

Why bother? Because everything is installed to make use of the function I thought I was getting. The return is around 3L/hr, around 15% when compared to expected fuel flows around 20L/hr. Seem like a more accurate solution than trying to calibrate fuel flow only. (Everyone minus one)

I looked up my old invoice and discovered that I purchased two fuel flow options (OPT-FF-02) at $375 each to get two FlowScan sensors to monitor fuel flow to the engine and fuel flow return from the engine. This was necessary on my Rotax 914, since the fuel system flows about 40 gallon per hour and uses only 5 GPH, so about 35 GPH is being returned.

That said, if you purchase two fuel flow options, they should upgrade your EIS to the software to use the second transducer at no charge. At the most, their website states there is a $100 minimum bench charge for out of warranty repairs.

You are correct, I see no mention on their website about what you have to purchase to get the return fuel flow option. It wasn't on the website back in 2007 when I got mine either! Carlos and Sandy made sure I got the second fuel flow option but I still had to return the EIS for the software update. You would think they would be sure the software was installed when someone purchases two fuel flow options!

I hope purchase of the second fuel flow option and a software update will take care of the problem. I'm quite happy with my GRT setup.

Jim Butcher
Europa XS, Rotax 914
Dual GRT Sport EFIS & GRT EIS

This has just recently been brought to my attention, so I've updated the EIS 4000/6000 features list and EIS system price list on the website to let people know that return fuel flow is not included. Sorry for the confusion.

Hello Katie. It is good to see that you have updated your website prices.
I am still waiting for a reply from Jeff to my email regarding this matter which was sent two weeks ago. I was quoted a price of $375, even though I have the second fuel flow sensor. The way your pricing reads, I should only be paying for the software upgrade. ($125) It is difficult to reach you during Tech hours by telephone with the time difference with Australia, so if I don't hear from someone soon I will try to call again.

Back