What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Test Phase

kritsher

Well Known Member
I just received a preliminary visit from an inspector from the local FSDO. He came down to look "under the hood" at all the plumbing/wiring/rigging/etc., as he wants the plane to be ready to fly when he comes back in a week or two for the official airworthiness inspection.

He made an off-hand comment about the test phase being 20-30 hours long. I told him that I was expecting something more like 5-10 hours. I understand that the length of the test phase is at his discretion, but I got the feeling that he wasn't extremely familiar with ELSAs or RV-12s in particular.

I'm just wondering if others have been given such a long Phase One...? Does anyone have any advice for me to help convince him that a shorter test phase is appropriate/typical?

Thanks!

As you say, the test phase period is up to the discretion of the inspector.
But I can't imagine a reason to give a longer period for an ELSA. After all, it either meets the requirement or it doesn't.

I would suggest that you call him and clarify the reason for a longer test period. I suspect that he is not familiar with ELSA regs.

Phase I testing for ELSA should be 5 hrs.

ref: FAA Order 8130.2G, paragraph 4083, c, (4).

Hours may be added in the interest of safety, but I can't imagine why that would be necessary on ELSA.

If the aircraft meets the requirements for ELSA, 5 hrs should be sufficient.
If not, the certificate should be denied.

Last edited:
5 hours

Cincinnati FSDO gave me five hours and I was their first ELSA. Completing the flight test cards took longer than that, though.

Wayne 120241/143WM

Phoenix gave me 5 hours and it took about 8 to finish the flight tests of the PAPs. Mine is an ELSA. It was the DAR's first ELSA and the FSDO had done only a few others.

Phoenix gave me 5 hours and it took about 8 to finish the flight tests of the PAPs. Mine is an ELSA. It was the DAR's first ELSA and the FSDO had done only a few others.

That sounds about right. I estimate 8-10 hrs to complete flight testing for an ELSA RV-12.

Phase I Flight Testing Alternative

Additional Pilot Program for Phase I Flight Test, AC No: 90-116 issued 9/23/14 outlines an optional phase I alternative to doing this as a solo pilot. I've not studied the document in depth but wonder if this might create better conditions for flight phase I data integrity. I also wonder how it would work within Van's PAP where take-off weight is specified and does not encompass 2 pilots on board.

The AC can viewed at http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_90-116.pdf

Scott
Hillsboro, OR

Back