What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X non touch GDU370-SL30 problem

n700jl

Well Known Member
I have a friend who has an RV-9 with a GDU-370 that is wired per the 700+page wiring manual to an SL-40. However, The GDU will not send any frequencies to the SL-40 stand by Comm. The 2 boxes are connected because I get a green check mark on the G3X setup COMM page. The SL-40 does not have any settings that can be changed. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks!!Its wired from P370 pins14-44-30 to SL30 pins 5-3-4. Why else would these 2 units be wired together except for the frequency exchange? Thank you!

Last edited:
I would confirm the baud rate on the 370 and also insure that Rx and Tx aren't reversed. Receiving VOR/LOC data would confirm they are not reversed, but not necissarily other pinning errors. I am guessing the green x is only looking for voltage or impedence and has no idea if the port on the other end is capable of receiving it's messages. I don't thing the sl30 sends acknowledgement messages for freq data.

Larry

Last edited:
. The SL-30 does not have any settings that can be changed. e? Thank you!

The SL30 has many settings that can be changed. Get ahold of the manual to read how to get into the setup menu and what settings are needed for remote devices.

G3X-SL40 data transfer problem

The reason I put this post here is because I did contact Garmin& I was told they would call me back, but they never did. I did find and old install manual that showed the SL-40 as a selection in the drop down menu but that selection is not available with the latest software version. I did a search on VAF and found some others had the same problem but no resolution. Also the comunication is working correctly otherwise you would not get a green check mark in the COMM setup page on the G3X! I have installed 6 G3X systems! This is not my first rodeo! Thank you!

G3X-SL40 data transfer problem

Sorry guys it is an SL-40 not an SL-30. Comm only. Thank you!!!!

The SL40 should work. Heck I even use a ICOM A210 with mine and push frequencies to it. Obviously all the NAV stuff that the SL30 supports won’t work.

You would not select SL30 “Garmin VHF NAV/COM” as the protocol though, what I think you want is “Garmin VHF COM”. That’s what I use with the A210 and it worked fine.

As for Garmin not calling you back, what department did you call? Certified or Experimental?

Last edited:
Hi Jon,

I am sorry that we seemed to have missed a callback for you (we have done some calling system changes lately) A very sincere apology.

We have several support team members monitoring the email address below. If you can please reach out to us again we will be on the lookout for your message!

Best Regards,

Brad

Also the comunication is working correctly otherwise you would not get a green check mark in the COMM setup page on the G3X!

This assumption will cause you much frustration. The manual clearly states that the green check mark represents that the g3x has received data from the connected device. How could the g3x know that the sl40 is properly receiving data?

This assumption will cause you much frustration. The manual clearly states that the green check mark represents that the g3x has received data from the connected device. How could the g3x know that the sl40 is properly receiving data?

Larry gives some wise advice here. The green checkmark can mean different things for different devices/protocols depending on the minor details involved.....

poke poke

I have installed 6 G3X systems! This is not my first rodeo! Thank you!

Well, during my first rodeo, I hooked up my SL30 to my non touch GDU-370 and I can push freqs to my SL30. I guess I just got lucky!

My plane ain't no award winner or nuttin but I can push freqs :)
Thank you!

I just had to do that ;-)

I really would have to dig into what I did, to help, but I'm sure I just got all the info right out of the manual. Good Luck, the G3Xperts should be able to walk you right thought it, like Brantel said!

Last edited:
G3X help

Please don't respond if you are not willing to help, you are just wasting every ones time. Thank you!

I found my setup info

Jon, do you still need this info? I was at my hangar this weekend and found the info that you need. This is for the 370 to SL30 but it should help with the 370 to SL40.

The wiring is: GDU370 (PFD1) RS232 2 / SL30
Pin 14 RS-232 2 IN / Pin 5 (this might only be for the nav side of the SL30)
Pin 44 Signal GND / Pin 3
Pin 30 RS-232 2 OUT / Pin 4

In the Config mode, go to PDF1 com port configuration
Select RS-232 2 From the select items select Garmin VHF Comm (mine is Nav/Comm) for SL30

I seem to remember that it needs to be on the RS-232 2 port not RS-232 1 but not positive. Your welcome!

Back