What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are there any suggestions to solve this problem?

pekuba1610

Having finished the empennage, I finally drilled the elevator horn through the center bearing HS-309. The bolt head does not sit on the surface of the elevator horn. It touches the welding seam. Same thing on the other side with the nut.
Did anybody experience the same problem? How did you resolve it?

Thank you,
Peter

That's actually pretty common. Grind a little under the bolt head in the sweet spot and use an MS21042 nut. Might have to tailor a washer for the nut also.

That's actually pretty common. Grind a little under the bolt head in the sweet spot and use an MS21042 nut. Might have to tailor a washer for the nut also.

Dave,

Wouldn't it be better to grind a washer for both sides? This way the full bolt head is available.

BTW- did the centerlines of the elevator tubes seem to be coaxial or offset? Maybe it is an optical illusion?

Bill, I thought of that too. Maybe one size longer bolt and at least one ground washer under the head. I also wondered if the one elevator was too close to the spar.

I think I?ll try with two grinded washers, eventually a slightly longer bolt will be necessary.
Regarding the offset. There is a little offset of the rudder horns towards each other. Looking down it?s about 1/32", looking horizontally, there?s an offset of about 1/16". I was not so happy when i finally discovered it, but when i fixed the positions of the rod end bearings I emphasized a constant distance of the elevator spar towards the trailing edge overhang of the VS. I guess these offsets won?t change a lot in the movement of the elevators.

Here you see the vertical offset.

... and that?s the horizontal offset

The distance between the HS web and the elevator web are exactly 2" according to the plans.

Back