What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Prop

rv8or

Well Known Member
Fellow Rv-er's
I'm the lucky owner of an RV 3 with an 0-235-F2B 125 hp lycoming engine.
I'm looking to replace the prop but would like some information on HP performance curves of the aircraft so that I can work out a set of parameters for the propeller manufacturer.
In the late 80's early 90's Vans sale blurb for the RV 4 had these graphs.
Now to the question. Did Vans ever produce a similar sales booklet for the 3 and if so would anybody have a copy they could scan and send to me. Either that or if anybody has these curves for a 125 hp RV 3.

Thanks
Rob
RV 3A bought flying
RV 8 Very very slow build.

I have an RV-3 that had an O-235. I'm now installing a Mattituck TMX-320, but I still have a very low time, like new Catto prop from the O-235 if you are interested.

Don't Diss the 0-235!

Did Vans ever produce a similar sales booklet for the 3 and if so would anybody have a copy they could scan and send to me. Either that or if anybody has these curves for a 125 hp RV 3.

Thanks
Rob
RV 3A bought flying
RV 8 Very very slow build.

Rob, no sales booklet, but I shared a hangar with an 0-235 powered RV3 for 3 years while I built my RV4 back in the early 90's. The performance numbers I remember were 2400RPM=130KTAS 2500=140KTAS 2600/150KTAS at 5K. The Performance wood prop was optimized for high RPM and 2700 above 5K was my normal power setting. I climbed it to 17,500 feet once on a foray coming home from Oshkosh 94. No worries. I really liked the 0-235 for many reasons, not the least of which was: Higher TBO, much lighter weight and cost compared with the bigger Lycomings.

Mo Power! Several mods can be made to it to increase HP with no weight gain, the most famous is the "Sparrow Hawk" conversion. http://airmodsnw.com/page/stcs This allowed the use of higher compression pistons, shot peened rods and alloy case through bolts. It was designed to allow the Cessna 152 to develop 125 HP. LyCon (and others) have taken this a step further with flow matching and balancing to attain nearly 150HP on a Dyno with the 0-235! The only drawback for the certified folks is it dropped the TBO from 2400 to 2000 hours.

The RV3 Today: My friend's 40 year old masterpiece RV3 currently has a lightened (IO-233 inspired) and higher HP overhauled 0-235 (130HP) with a B&C Vacuum pump pad alternator, Sky-Tech lightweight starter and Sky Dynamics magnesium flywheel http://www.skydynamics.com/index.php/products/engine/featherweight-flywheel
With a Catto 3 blade Gen3 prop it's thrust to weight ratio is nearly equal to my Harmon Rocket at 1/4 (or less) the cost. After all the mods she tipped the scales at just under 700lbs! Performance? My friend claims a takeoff in 350' and 3000 fpm climb at S.L. and cruise is identical to my 150HP RV4. (165KTAS at 8500') Not bad for a light weight!

Don't diss the 0-235, you are sitting on a gem...Buy Sean's (Glasair 180 above) Catto prop, great guy! You won't be disappointed. (I have 3000+ Catto prop hours) "The lighter they are, the better they fly"

V/R
Smokey

PS: The RV3 I flew was a 77' model Early RV3 with a Performance 2 blade wood prop. Performance back then was stellar. I could outrun and out-climb any comparable certified airplane and keep up with a buddies RV4 at cruise power settings and me at WOT. (115HP stock!) Burt Rutan once commented on the 0-235 vs the 0-320 in the Long EZ. "The excess weight and fuel burn reduces the range, useful load and overall efficiency of the airplane at a higher cost per hour of ownership"

Last edited:
Back