What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shorter oil tube and level checker

BruceMe

Well Known Member
Does anyone have the part numbers or information on making converting a shorter dip-stick and oil filler tube on an O-320?

Thanks,

I shortened mine long ago.

I simply figured out how much I needed to shorten it, cut that much out of the tube, and used a plumbing aisle PVC coupling (maybe CPVC?) to splice it back together. I used proseal to seal the thing and 3 internally wrenching set screws on each end as a secondary holding mechanism. (The proseal and screws came after the first time I assembled it and the PVC glue joints failed).

Then I painted it Lycoming grey.

For the dipstick, you can drive out the roll pin, pull the rod from the cap, and then drill a new hole for the roll pin at the appropriate distance from the first hole and reassemble with a new roll pin after shortening the upper end of the rod.

On mine, I didn't shorten it, I just used a pipe cutter to cut new marks for oil levels. I calibrated those marks one quart at a time as I filled the crankcase.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have a short tube (~6") available for $20+shipping, if it's not too short. These are typically installed on 540s.

3ihvLm5l.jpg

Back