Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2018, 09:45 PM

I believe all the UAT units have the ability to "randomize" your ID when squawking 1200, whereas the 1030 units don't. For me, this is huge. No, I'm not a tin foil hat wearer who's paranoid about big brother. But I'm not about to give them any more info than I have to. It's entirely possible that if I get involved in a minor incident, or a neighbor who doesn't like planes complains I buzzed his house (I fly out of a farm strip), that the feds could pull some recent ADS-B data and find that I momentarily dipped down to 950 ft over town on a turbulent day and begin to pile on. No thanks!

What are the odds of this? Pretty slim. Even better if I fly by the rules, which I honestly try to do. Everyone's needs are different, but since I don't fly in places 1030 there is no benefit and thus no need to subject myself to added risk.

Whatever I get will have IN. In the last 3 years I've had 3 close calls, 2 with my family on board, and 2 in Class C! Time for cockpit traffic.

DEM
Old 01-28-2018, 10:01 AM

Anyone have reason to believe the available options will change in the next year? We are getting close to Sun N Fun Times.

Any new equipment in the coming soon stage?
Old 01-28-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallylancer122 View Post
I believe all the UAT units have the ability to "randomize" your ID when squawking 1200, whereas the 1030 units don't. For me, this is huge. No, I'm not a tin foil hat wearer who's paranoid about big brother. But I'm not about to give them any more info than I have to. It's entirely possible that if I get involved in a minor incident, or a neighbor who doesn't like planes complains I buzzed his house (I fly out of a farm strip), that the feds could pull some recent ADS-B data and find that I momentarily dipped down to 950 ft over town on a turbulent day and begin to pile on. No thanks!

What are the odds of this? Pretty slim. Even better if I fly by the rules, which I honestly try to do. Everyone's needs are different, but since I don't fly in places 1030 there is no benefit and thus no need to subject myself to added risk.

Whatever I get will have IN. In the last 3 years I've had 3 close calls, 2 with my family on board, and 2 in Class C! Time for cockpit traffic.

DEM
The Garmin GTX345 lets you configure it so that you can change the N-number when you want; however, I don't think any of the options let you scramble your S-code, which is a unique identifier back to you.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa38112 View Post
The Garmin GTX345 lets you configure it so that you can change the N-number when you want; however, I don't think any of the options let you scramble your S-code, which is a unique identifier back to you.
I have observed that the Garmin GDL82 changes the S-code when Anonymous is selected. Going through a few power cycles and Anonymous Switch on/off cycles that "random" S-code changes (is not always the same "random" code).

The 82 also has a USB connection. Using a laptop and the Garmin install utility the user may set/change the N number and associated S-code that are broadcast when Anonymous is OFF or, regardless of Anonymous switch setting, when the squawk is not 1200.

Carl
Old 01-29-2018, 07:55 AM

Will the Echo UAT with SkyFYX also provide GPS position to my iPad running FlyQEFB similar to what I’m doing with my Stratux Box?
Thanks
Old 01-29-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
You might want to look into bullet point 5 on this unit from Garmin:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/540911
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 01-29-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantry View Post
Will the Echo UAT with SkyFYX also provide GPS position to my iPad running FlyQEFB similar to what I’m doing with my Stratux Box?
Thanks
Talked with Shane @ UAVIONIX (GREAT GUY!!!!) and he said YES that the WAAS position source is PART of the GDL90 format that gets sent out with all the other information.

WOOT!

Last edited by mantry : 01-29-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I am not a fan of portable avionics in an owned plane. Particularly an RV where space is limited and aesthetics are generally high. I was thrilled to get rid of my Stratus, the power supply to it, and the antenna stuck to my wind screen. My GTX integrates into my GPS so that I do not need another portable (tablet) to access the data.
Also, I would not consider the portables "cheap".
I have a Stratux with 978/1090 and AHRS. I think it cost be about $150 and 15 minutes to assemble. I remote-mounted mine, connecting it to my RAMI AV-74 ADS-B antenna on the belly. The only thing visible is a small GPS "puck" on my glareshield. It displays via wifi on my iFly 740 and works great. I consider it "cheap" relative to the alternatives!
2018 Dues Paid
Old 02-01-2018, 04:42 PM

Default A somber view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytoday View Post

Then again, if some high-publicity incident occurs, and the immediate solution offered is "ADS-B OUT" any delay to the 1/1/2020 mandate would be impossible.

It's a coin-toss...

Carl
I’m of the opinion that inevitably there will be a high-publicity incident. It may not be the sort one would expect. When ADS-B broadcasts unique ship ID and near exact location with zero security enhancements......do we really expect some won’t take that and use it to facilitate crimes? IMHO, we will be “upgrading” again when it is realized how ignorant it is to assume everyone is a friendly.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVbySDI View Post
You might want to look into bullet point 5 on this unit from Garmin:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/540911
I think the question hanging is exactly what does anonymous mode actually do? Reading the above Garmin link, “ for inflight privacy, an Anonymous mode can be set to mask your aircraft ID from displaying on other aircraft’s ADS-B “In” traffic display“
I think folks are assuming this will hide their ID from the FAA. Something I personally doubt.
Tim Andres