- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
I disagree with this completely. I think getting a dedicated out is the smartest move out there. And cheapest solution. I am a firm believer in keeping your "in" as cheap and changeable over the years as possible (i.e. portable like GDL 51/52/39, Scout, Stratux etc...).

So effectively you permanently comply with "out" and be done with it. Incredibly cheap with a UAT out, especially when paired with the like of a current or used GTX-327 as alluded to by Jesse above. And anonymous capability is a cool side effect.

Then you decide on your "in" solution and can change your mind at any time for a cheap swap out to a different "in". As technology changes you can keep up with the latest. The out will never change. And you will never be permanently married to Garmin or Stratus etc. with your "in".

Even in the case of a G3X I suggest pairing the system with a GTX-32 (or 327) Mode C and a GDL-82 for UAT "out". Rather than the more expensive and modern 1090ES "outs" promoted for use with the G3X (like GTX 45R or 23ES). Then use a GDL-52/52R for your "in". All compatible with the G3X display for weather, traffic, xm music and squawk entry.

Jim
Good point but keep in mind if you want to have traffic and weather on a GTN650 or 750 there’s a limited number of in solutions that will display on there....I believe the cheapest solution for that aspect is still the gtx345 as opposed to an out solution and one of the few other in solutions.
Aero Engineer, A&P
Old 01-26-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Good point but keep in mind if you want to have traffic and weather on a GTN650 or 750 there’s a limited number of in solutions that will display on there....I believe the cheapest solution for that aspect is still the gtx345 as opposed to an out solution and one of the few other in solutions.
This is true. However, then again, this is exactly the situation Jim was referring to in paragraph 3 of his post. One in this situation is indeed locked into having to deal with one company's particular offering with little to no other options.
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 01-26-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
The GTN-650 display is woefully inadequate to display ADS-B in information.

Carl
Old 01-26-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49clipper View Post
One problem I see, is having to have 1090ES if you ever want to fly out of the country (like Canada or Alaska). You have to have those when leaving the border. Or, am I reading it wrong? I want to fly to Alaska, and as I see it, you must have 1090ES 'out".
NO, this is not true. Canada has no ADSB requirement (at least not at RV altitudes). And AK is the same as the lower 48 (it is part of the US!). Now, I think some places like Bermuda may become a problem if you have only a UAT, not sure.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Mark,

My point again is look at your panel as an integrated system, not a collection of parts. While there is more up front cost to do a new panel, why spend money on stuff that does not support your endstate target?

Carl
+1
Unless you're sure you won't want or need ADSB, the planning should start from the beginning: Will my choice of EFIS display ADSB data from brand X, or will I be locked into brand Y, and will I be happy with that? etc.
As a side note, I firmly believe you want traffic data right in front of you; with audio is a big plus. Where you display wx data (including a laptop) doesn't matter much.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:58 PM

All good discussion here. True no problem in Canada and Mexico. For the foreseeable future. I maintain aircraft owned and operated in Mexico that cross the US border regularly and those affluent owners in the know about their government scoff at Mexico mandating any type of ADS-B out. Remember it is the FAA and avionics manufacturers that are marketing the idea that 1090ES will be required in our good neighbor countries. It's not coming from Canada, Mexico or the Bahamas. It's coming from regulators in Oklahoma and marketing departments in Kansas.

Over 18,000 feet. Fine. 1090ES. Going to fly your RV across the Atlantic to Europe. Fine. 1090ES. Going to fly anywhere in North and South America from the North Pole to Patagonia at or below 18,000 ft? UAT out at 978Mhz. Mode C would be my personal configuration for any UAT out.

Jim
Old 01-27-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
I am a firm believer in keeping your "in" as cheap and changeable over the years as possible (i.e. portable like GDL 51/52/39, Scout, Stratux etc...).
Jim
I am not a fan of portable avionics in an owned plane. Particularly an RV where space is limited and aesthetics are generally high. I was thrilled to get rid of my Stratus, the power supply to it, and the antenna stuck to my wind screen. My GTX integrates into my GPS so that I do not need another portable (tablet) to access the data.
Also, I would not consider the portables "cheap".
Old 01-27-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantry View Post
Here we are, 24 months before the ADSB-OUT Mandate is (SUPPOSED) to take affect
I think many assume there will be some sort of extension granted for the mandate. I recently received this in my email and thought it was interesting for those that may be thinking that is how it will go down:

" FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education
Your ADS-B Questions Answered: Get the Facts Here
Notice Number: NOTC7575

Question: Will the January 1, 2020 ADS-B Out compliance date be extended? And is it true that the airlines have been allowed to delay their installation?

Answer: The FAA has consistently demonstrated its commitment to the January 1, 2020 ADS-B Out compliance date.

The rule was published in May 2010, nearly ten years in advance to allow ample time for the production and installation of equipment on aircraft and complete deployment of the ATC ground network (completed in 2014). ADS-B is currently used by ATC in all but the smallest facilities where integration with the automation is on track to support the compliance date.

Equipment options are varied and plentiful; there are approved ADS-B systems for almost all aircraft types. Manufacturers share this information with the FAA which is available through a searchable database at http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb...nt/adsb_ready/

The rumor that airlines have been given a delay to the January 1, 2020 ADS-B Out compliance date is not true. Exemption 12555 allows the use of older GPS equipment until 2025, but still requires that operators install and operate rule-compliant ADS-B Out equipment by January 1, 2020.

With all this in place, there is no need and no reason to expect a delay in the compliance date of January 1, 2020.

Don’t Get Left in the Hangar. Equip Now!

There’s only 24 months remaining before the 2020 ADS-B Out equipage deadline.

For more information, please visit the Equip ADS-B website www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/.

Questions about equipping? Please see our FAQs or contact us at adsb@faa.gov."
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Working on Emp/Tail Cone
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 01-27-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
I think many assume there will be some sort of extension granted for the mandate. I recently received this in my email and thought it was interesting for those that may be thinking that is how it will go down:

" FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education
Notice Number: NOTC7575

Question: Will the January 1, 2020 ADS-B Out compliance date be extended? And is it true that the airlines have been allowed to delay their installation?

Answer: The FAA has consistently demonstrated its commitment to the January 1, 2020 ADS-B Out compliance date.

All correct! However there is a new sheriff in town since January 2017, and a definite effort to reduce regulations. Seems possible that there could be a delay to the ADS-B Out mandate, especially if the flight departments of the bizjets inform the CEOs that their fleet can't make 1/1/2020.

Then again, if some high-publicity incident occurs, and the immediate solution offered is "ADS-B OUT" any delay to the 1/1/2020 mandate would be impossible.

It's a coin-toss...

Carl
Old 01-27-2018, 08:35 PM

Question CANADIAN ADS-B SOLUTION

For my fellow Canadians out there or anyone with info on the subject.

Anyone heard anything about the Canadian ''Talk about'' Satellite based ADS-B solution??

Are the current ADS-B solution able to work with a Satellite based system??

Good to know before someone spend $$$ on something that wouldn't work in Canada..

G3X Expert ( Steve ) did you hear anything at Garmin on this??

Thanks

Bruno