VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-04-2018, 12:16 AM

Smile Dynon ADS-B Status?

I contacted Dynon regarding their "new" ADS-B replacement unit several months ago. They responded that I was on the waiting list... Then I was informed there were issues with the unit and they expected to have those resolved shortly; they would contact me.
So, here we are into a new year and I've not heard from Dynon yet about their nifty new unit. There's not been any chatter on VAF that I'm aware of. So quoting a WWII message... The world wants to know... Where's the ADS-B? (For those history buffs.)
Anyone aware of the status of the "new replacement ADS-B" units and when they may be available?
Old 01-04-2018, 12:44 AM

I too have been waiting anxiously. No definite word from Dynon yet.
Olympia WA

the bitterness of poor quality
lingers long after the cheap
price is forgotten.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:31 AM

Wink Perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 622BH View Post
I contacted Dynon regarding their "new" ADS-B in replacement unit several months ago. They responded that I was on the waiting list... Then I was informed there were issues with the unit and they expected to have those resolved shortly; they would contact me.
So, here we are into a new year and I've not heard from Dynon yet about their nifty new unit. There's not been any chatter on VAF that I'm aware of. So quoting a WWII message... The world wants to know... Where's the ADS-B? (For those history buffs.)
Anyone aware of the status of the "new replacement ADS-B" units and when they may be available?
For a long time the SV-472 ("new replacement ADS-B") Dual Band ADS-B in, was showing as "out of stock" on the Dynon store but is no longer indicating that status. Appears to be readily available by THAT clue.

As the OP asks, "Where's the beef?" and I'm only guessing but the world is beginning to wake-up to the 2020 deadline, other options such as NavWorx have run into problems, and demand seems to be increasing as the benefits of ADS-B in for TIS/FIS spreads. My inclination is that they are serving customers the new replacement units but our 'upgrade offer' units are; 1) lower priority (because we already have a -470 mono-band), and 2) we were notified that our requests would be filled 'in the Spring' and, 3) uAvionix is working their fannies off to keep up with demands.

This past weekend I flew with Dave McNeil in his RV-10, which has an older GRT back-up EFIS, and used my mini-iPad & ForeFlight. His GRT was feeding the FF via WiFi all the TIS/FIS and it was also updating all the other dynamic data such as ATIS updates. By contrast my Dynon SkyView D1000 (Classic) & SV-470 mono-band does NOT give all to FF, yet. I'm hoping that the SV-472 delivers on that feature, which for whatever reason has not been provided (Suggested by another thread).

Looking forward to delivery and hoping for full functionality of these features, in a unit that is reliable, and supportable. So far Dynon has not failed to deliver products/support that meets or exceeds my expectations.

Of course, 'Spring' in AZ comes earlier than many parts of the country we hope that Dynon is not calibrating the seasons based on the Northern Plains (or Planes).
VP-X Sport, Dynon SkyView, VFR day
(FFZ) Mesa, AZ - N234GB -
www.mykitlog.com/garyc
Old 01-16-2018, 09:04 AM

An update on the Dynon forum yesterday suggests they have fixed a few issues but are still working on one or more fixes/improvements - both hardware (uAvionics) and software.

That thread was started by a user who has the 472 and experienced traffic drops until he installed a low cost 1090 filter in-line to the unit and saying it now works as expected.

Thread link here.
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

Last edited by Raymo : 01-17-2018 at 07:55 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-16-2018, 05:58 PM

Dunno is still working through some issues with Uavionix, who seems to be having filtering problems across the board with their products where there is a high density of towers.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:00 PM

Default I took delivery 5 months ago

It came with the package that included all the other pieces of my Skyview Touch system. First I've heard of "issues". I wonder if the unit they sent me is in need of an upgrade or replacement?
Ron
regular VAF donor despite being exempt
Old 01-17-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patterson View Post
It came with the package that included all the other pieces of my Skyview Touch system. First I've heard of "issues". I wonder if the unit they sent me is in need of an upgrade or replacement?
Ron
You have an original 472. They stopped distributing them mid-summer. Standby for the testing to conclude. I would assume that Dynon will offer some sort of upgrade, but I don't know that to be true.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
That thread was started by a user who has the 472 and experienced traffic drops until he installed a low cost 1090 filter in-line to the unit and saying it now works as expected.

Thread link here.
I just ordered this filter and will install it on my -472 as soon as it arrives and will post my results good, bad or indifferent. FWIW I am doing it because I like to "tinker" with things like this, especially in an experimental airplane.

www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 01-17-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RViter View Post
His GRT was feeding the FF via WiFi all the TIS/FIS and it was also updating all the other dynamic data such as ATIS updates.
I am a GRT user, but didn't know this was possible. Do you know what output settings on the GRT allow this? I am guessing he has a USB to WiFi adapter.

Larry
Old 01-26-2018, 08:25 AM

Default Will follow-up -

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
I am a GRT user, but didn't know this was possible. Do you know what output settings on the GRT allow this? I am guessing he has a USB to WiFi adapter.

Larry
Larry: will have to get details on the GRT model and will PM/email you (to avoid thread drift here.)

I will say that nothing on FF was changed to display TIS/FIS and ATIS updates real-time. Just had to select the WiFi link and viola' ... magic.
VP-X Sport, Dynon SkyView, VFR day
(FFZ) Mesa, AZ - N234GB -
www.mykitlog.com/garyc