VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-06-2018, 03:37 PM

Default Anyone here using a FreeFlight Rangr

Just looking to see if anyone has any experience with this product.
It is advertised on these forums and has a similar function set to the ADS-600B.

Thanks,
Old 01-06-2018, 06:32 PM

Default Yes, FreeFlight Rangr FDL-978-XVR

Bought this from Walt (ExpAircraft.com) a couple of years ago on a group-buy. It works great! ADS-B Out (2020 compliant UAT) and In. Has it's own WAAS GPS, and WiFi's ADS-B traffic and Wx to my mini iPad. Also, traffic to my GRT HS EFIS. Using it with a GTX-327 Transponder. Support from FreeFlight has been great! Only needed that support to get everything set properly.

Best regards,

Merrill

Last edited by mdevans9 : 01-07-2018 at 05:48 AM. Reason: more info added
Old 01-06-2018, 10:13 PM

I have installed and am using two Freeflight Rangr Lites (out only). Excellent quality and good support. Freeflight was part of the original Capstone program that set the standards for ADS-B years ago. The Rangr Lites I installed are 2020 compliant UAT out with availability to squawk anonymous for VFR flight. The quality of parts and units are excellent.

Jim
Old 01-07-2018, 05:58 AM

Default FF Ranger

I’ve been running it for 2 years and echo the comments above, also purchased from Walt. Once set up (had to consult FF support - very helpful) it has worked well with no hiccups. WiFi to my IPad and traffic feed to my GNC 430.
2018 =VAF= donor

Last edited by n816kc : 01-07-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:36 AM

Ditto what mdevans9 said about his experience with the FreeFlight Ranger.

I purchased my FreeFlight Ranger from VISTA AVIATION INC, Pacoima, CA back in 2014. Mine was an early production unit and when I got around to installing about a year after I purchased it, found that my pn/sw version was only able capable of providing four RS-232 serial ports and to be able to display traffic etc. on my EFIS needed 5 serial ports. By this time, the newer versions of the Ranger had the capability to support up to 5 or even 6 RS232 serial ports. I contacted FreeFlight Tech support explained my dilemma, was able to return my unit, have it upgraded it to the current version at the time under warranty which solved the issue. So like mdevans9 said, tech support from FreeFlight was excellent.

It works great! Transmits traffic and weather to a GRT HS Sport EFIS. ADS-B Out (2020 compliant UAT) Out and In. Has it's own WAAS GPS, and WiFi's ADS-B traffic and Wx output using an external mounted module. I didn't wire the WiFi capability so can't comment on how it functions. I am using it with a GTX-327 Transponder.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:18 PM

Default Free Flight

I'm installing one now. Just waiting for more shielded wire from Stein. A configuration or wiring error caused me to fail my performance test before Christmas, but the tech support has been nothing short of excellent. Install includes an existing ACK Mod 9 and a GTX 327. The only failure on the report was pressure altitude so I'm re-wiring and will reconfigure the control head. This is my first time to build a wiring harness and there was a learning curve on my part. Due to the other segments of the report, they gave me an extension on the rebate period. Jim Berry - Abilene TX
Old 01-09-2018, 08:23 AM

Mine is coming up on three years old and other than one software upgrade, it has been perfectly fine.

Hudson, WI
president, Twin Cities RV Builders Group
RV-4, sold
RV-7 completed and flying N722DW, 630 hours
Based Lake Elmo, MN (21D)
Old 01-09-2018, 09:28 AM

I was looking at the 978 Lite model ADS-B OUT option.
Gulf Coast Avionics has it discounted @ $1695

https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/pr...ut-system.aspx
2017 Donation Paid
Old 01-09-2018, 10:28 AM

Default Ranger Lite In & Out

Installed Ranger Lite In & out this past August. Instructions were well written and there tech support is very helpful. Had many questions for them before I purchased system. Used with GTX-327 and IPad. Approved on first test flight and had rebate check within a couple weeks.