What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anchor nut for Shoulder harness?

tjyak50

Well Known Member
Rebuilding my (non Vans) experimental plane. I come to VAF because you guys are the ones that know this stuff and it is mostly universal so here goes..

Adding shoulder harnesses to my IAR823 and we've built beefy structure into the roof already but it gets closed up and I can't really reach the nut once closed up.
Is it acceptable to use a big anchor nut on the airframe side?
Like a k1000-6 with a 3/8-24 bolt into it?

In a crash the stress is mostly a shear vs trying to pull the threads out.
I was reading that some of the Vans plans show a nutplate for harness install?

Thanks in advance for the general assist.

Tj

Rebuilding my (non Vans) experimental plane. I come to VAF because you guys are the ones that know this stuff and it is mostly universal so here goes..

Adding shoulder harnesses to my IAR823 and we've built beefy structure into the roof already but it gets closed up and I can't really reach the nut once closed up.

Tj
I don't know of any nutplates in the shoulder harness install. The shoulder harness install is attached with a standard AN4 bolt in a RV7 and 14.

shear

Tj
Assuming that it is fully in shear, then an anchor nut should be fine - the goal of the nut is to hold the bolt in place. As you may know, Van's calls for a castle nut so pretty clear that it's designed for shear.

Back